Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't meant as a criticism VC, it just really confused me. I'm a simple soul and the morning coffee hasn't yet kicked in.

So if I understand this right, some people save 2 things and send in enough for all of each. Some people save more varieties, but send in a range of seed packets equalling for example the 32 packets. I get that bit.

I don't get how the choosing works, or what happens if, say, more people want Mr Fearn's beans than there are packets available, other than some people don't get beans...(can you spot which seeds I was really hankering after All Year )
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
      I don't get how the choosing works, or what happens if, say, more people want Mr Fearn's beans than there are packets available, other than some people don't get beans...(can you spot which seeds I was really hankering after All Year )
      So what ones were you after?

Dunno about picking, especially as you didn't have that issue this year. Might be better to worry about it once we know what people are sending in Nov.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Probably - but not by me! Do you want to test some for viability? http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...red_83260.html
        Trying to take advantage of my itchy fingers huh?!

If you still need someone to test viability then I'd be happy to help out... tho I am wondering where to put all my seedlings in the next couple of months, let alone any others!

Is it just chilli you need testing, or are there squashes, beans etc you need doing?
        Last edited by Bohobumble; 25-02-2015, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda
          Ah, So it is not 32 pack of same seed, and there is much flexibility. Then I am in
          What are you going to try saving? If you want to save seed you need to plant extra for seed saving only. Save from strong, healthy plants and leave them for seed saving purposes. When you do this its not difficult to pack 16/20 small packets of one variety. If you do this it is easy to save a dozen beans/ peas x16, 6/10 toms or chillies x 16. 6/8 squash x 16. Although choose your plants early on in the season and not wait until September to think about it...its usually been eaten by then . My kids always nick my best tomato!

Originally posted by veggiechicken
          We've never had to do the "choosing" bit, so I've no idea either. While I've been participating, there's always been enough of everything for everyone
          I think it's much easier to save enough for a packet of each variety for every participant.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            What are you going to try saving? If you want to save seed you need to plant extra for seed saving only. Save from strong, healthy plants and leave them for seed saving purposes. When you do this its not difficult to pack 16/20 small packets of one variety. If you do this it is easy to save a dozen beans/ peas x16, 6/10 toms or chillies x 16. 6/8 squash x 16. Although choose your plants early on in the season and not wait until September to think about it...its usually been eaten by then . My kids always nick my best tomato!

I think it's much easier to save enough for a packet of each variety for every participant.
            Scarlet,

I totally agree with you and this is really good tips for a newbie like me. I actually concerned alot about the previous year. surely I would not be sharing brassica's, roots and alliums etc as I am new to grow them. my interest is on gourds as many types I can grow.

Comment

What variety of gourds are you growing?
              Gourds, courgettes, squash etc all cross polinate very easily. Even if you only grow one on your plot it will quite happily cross pollinate with one of your neighbours plants ( possibly up to half a mile away ) The only way you can ensure true seed from these are to hand polinate the flowers and use the rubber band method.

Comment

Elfeda - have a look at How To Save Your Own Seed at Home There are detailed instructions on how to save seeds of all types. If you're thinking of saving gourd/squash seeds, you need to follow the instructions closely, to avoid any cross pollination between the squashes. This is very important as if you don't, the seeds will not be true to type.

Comment

I can't sew, and I'm not good at the rubber band method. I use wedding favour bags to isolate male & female flowers. This pic is the baby muscat de provence which grew to being over 5kg.

I do love saving squash seeds though you have to waft away interested bees in the morning. You get about 300 from a squash, which is plenty. What the books don't tell you is how bad a mature courgette smells inside when you open it for seed. Faugh!!!
                  Attached Files
                  http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

hmm tricky,

I eat tender luffa, ridge gourds and courgette same way. and then like growing bottle gourds and snake gourds.

have all ready sown all and kept indoors. hope i grow them all possibly and save seeds.

Comment

I use those bags for chillies but sometimes the chilli only has half a dozen seeds so I'm going to bag the whole plant this year fingers crossed that I get more than one fruit

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
                        hmm tricky,

I eat tender luffa, ridge gourds and courgette same way. and then like growing bottle gourds and snake gourds.

have all ready sown all and kept indoors. hope i grow them all possibly and save seeds.
                        If it's your first year for saving seed, personally I would try a couple of lettuce varieties, tomato, beans, Cape gooseberry or tomatillo, herbs chives, parsley, basil etc - much easier to save true seed.

Comment

thanks Scarlet. lettuce and others are is again in my trial list as first timer. So here you go..in addition to dwarf french beans i would be growing amarnaths, and a variety of malbar spinach.(lot many other asian leafy greens as well )..these are my mains. toms, peppers and aubergines I should decide once I sow plants, never knew it such a battle starting from seed , has always bought couple of plants for each ..

Comment

What beans,pepper and Tom varieties are you growing?
                            Last edited by Scarlet; 25-02-2015, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Personally I think aubergines would be lovely, to increase the diversity of what goes into the circle.

Parsley is biennial. Chives are perennial so I wouldn't expect them to seed in their first year either.

Comment

For those not so sure what are likely to save well, myself included, I found this link: Self-Seeding Crops You I really like the 'seed ark' idea too
                                Last edited by Bohobumble; 02-03-2015, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X