X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Bog/ Madman potato (wanted)

any info greatly received ,or at best a tuber

tried the good old google search, tried asking the seed catalogue companies, tried ringing and contacting potato day events, nothing....

ive found limited information on this variety , i think its irish and found someone small bits of info saying it was grown in mental asylums ( i dont know if thats tongue in cheek) hence the madman, and also can tolerate wet soil, i guess its not amazing otherwise it would be more available ,

i can trade from hundreds including some very very rare varieties of fruit including , strawbs, raspberries, currants, rhubarbs, hybrids, blackberries i also collect a lot of rare types of veg seeds to trade for the black bog
    Best wishes Stew

Found an old (2009) potato day with it there. The venue has just redone its kitchen garden with heritage varieties might be worth contacting them.

Lissadell House and Gardens Sligo

Spud Sunday: Sligo Spuds

Comment

Sorry can't help. Checked Tom Wagner's website and forum, Black Bog is mentioned but the threads are old. No source mentioned.

Comment

Everything I have found refers to David Langford whos collection is (from what I can understand) now at Lissadell house. They have 180 varieties there . It really has made for interesting reading - just glad I am not a potato nut I hope you get some joy.

Comment

I found this Black Bog Potatoes

and the description sounds pretty much like the potato listed in the Irish National Collection as just "Black Potato"
          http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/...Book010610.pdf (pages 12, 13)

Perhaps you could try contacting them. They may have more info.
          Tops Potato Centre - Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Many thanks for the replies, from information provided I have now some real good leads, best wishes Stew

Comment

A surprise to see Black Bog mentioned, I grew them a few years ago and found them a nice easy to grow potato. Lovely dark stems and deep green leaves, flowers are white. The tubers are quite round but slightly flattened, skin is purple black with deep eyes. Picked young they are waxyish but as they grow turn floury. Flesh is white, very slightly creamy with a faint purple ring just under the skin, nice flavour.

I don't have any at the moment but it's possible I'll be getting some later in the spring?
              I do have a small amount of Black Bog True Potato Seed (TPS) which may or may not be selfed, also a few crosses I could share if you are interested in TPS.
              Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
                A surprise to see Black Bog mentioned, I grew them a few years ago and found them a nice easy to grow potato. Lovely dark stems and deep green leaves, flowers are white. The tubers are quite round but slightly flattened, skin is purple black with deep eyes. Picked young they are waxyish but as they grow turn floury. Flesh is white, very slightly creamy with a faint purple ring just under the skin, nice flavour.

I don't have any at the moment but it's possible I'll be getting some later in the spring?
                I do have a small amount of Black Bog True Potato Seed (TPS) which may or may not be selfed, also a few crosses I could share if you are interested in TPS.
                Thats amazing , thanks for the great information, i have been after on and off the black bog since i read about in college 20 years ago now, so finally getting hold of it would be great,
                i would deff be interested in some true potato seeds, i have again been wanting to run out some experiments with the highland burgundy red, salad blue, and some other potatoes from seed, but i may need a bit of advice how you grow them out, as i have not experimented with TPS before,
                trades wise i have 100s of varieties of fruit, and also many rare and old veg seeds ,
                Once again and many thanks Stew

Comment

Wow, that's quite a while to be looking for them, I'll let you know if I get some tubers.

For TPS
                  I can share
                  Black Bog,
                  Bolivian Yellowhesh x Black Bog
                  Ratte x Black Bog
                  Red Cara x Black Bog
                  Up to Date x Black Bog
                  Perhaps pm me if any take your fancy or just Black Bog.
                  Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

black bog potatoes

hi Stew,

just happened by your posting and wondered if you found your black bog potatoes? i live in Four Roads, Co. Roscommon, Ireland, i have some seed potatoes of the black bog variety from my own crop last year, there are not many as i only grew a few black bogs as an experiment, but i'd be happy to share some with you by post, or maybe a swap with something unusual you have? honestly i don't find them to be the best tasting but they are really very lovely anyway. i got the original seed potatoes from Irish Seed Savers, and everything i grow is 100% organic.

kind regards,

Tania

Comment

private messaged ya
                      Originally posted by mydearxiola View Post
                      hi Stew,

just happened by your posting and wondered if you found your black bog potatoes? i live in Four Roads, Co. Roscommon, Ireland, i have some seed potatoes of the black bog variety from my own crop last year, there are not many as i only grew a few black bogs as an experiment, but i'd be happy to share some with you by post, or maybe a swap with something unusual you have? honestly i don't find them to be the best tasting but they are really very lovely anyway. i got the original seed potatoes from Irish Seed Savers, and everything i grow is 100% organic.

kind regards,

Tania

Comment

Mission completed thanks Tania

Comment

and thanks for the fruits in return, Stew, they are establishing themselves nicely!! Tania

Comment

I think I saw Black Bog potatoes on the Irish Seed Savers site. Just a minute and I'll check. I know they have Lumpers and Land Leaguers and some other old Irish varieties. You would probably need to be a member to get them, and I don't know if they send them outside Ireland. Where are you based Stew?

Comment

Yes, here they are in the ISS supporters' catalogue
                              Irish Seed Savers - Seed Bank - Organic Maincrop Potato Seed

Oops! I posted before I read to the end of the thread and discovered that you've already got some. Oh well, someone else might be grateful for the info.
                              Last edited by Zelenina; 25-04-2015, 11:10 AM. Reason: adding explanatory note

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X