Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hoping that these posts will encourage others to try some of the unusual varieties, saved by you, nellie, and others
    "Berner Landfrauen" beans are still available from the VSP - but I expect a run on them now

Comment

And forgive me for repeating myself but these are too beautiful to miss: Matt's "crown pea" from the p+b cycle, but I think they're in the VSP, too. If I remember correctly they were from the Heritage Seed Library originally.
      So ornamental! Flowering time is comparatively short but what a display! And then of course it means that all the pods set almost at the same time - I like that I can harvest them all in one go (almost), and have the row cleared early for another crop.
      Thanks, Matt!

Tons of seeds here so if there's any shortage in the VSP I can help...
      Attached Files
      ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

Just one packet of 10 Crown peas in the VSP! They do look beautiful

Comment

I feel bad now, I've just got in from work and am having half an hour wind down before bed, I can't be bothered to go through and see who sent me what. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to the VSP for now and I'll investigate soon and report back.
          Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

I grew Pigletwillie's French Black tomatoes this year - in a big pot in the back garden. They are still going strong and ripening on the vine. Will save seeds from these as they are really robust.
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

My rocoto and facing heaven chilli seeds didn't germinate but the green zebra tomato grew like a triffid. Thank you very much!

The VSP is a brilliant thing and thanks to VC for managing the UK one. Some of my seeds are definitely headed in that direction later this year (the squashes are still maturing). Hopefully what I'd like will still be there! (or I'd have to choose more - wouldn't that be such a hardship! )
              Last edited by sparrow100; 09-10-2014, 12:37 PM.
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                My rocoto and facing heaven chilli seeds didn't germinate
                Did you practice patience Sparrow?..I've thrown some early to find that later on they've sprouted in my compost bucket!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Did you practice patience Sparrow?..I've thrown some early to find that later on they've sprouted in my compost bucket!
                  Yep - I have 7 different chillies growing this year and am used to hanging about waiting for them to show, but these just didn't do anything. Then I bought some of the rocotos from Realseeds and they were up really quickly. Have chalked it up to experience, it could have been any number of things.

Comment

I've added a note to the VSP about germination and anyone asking for "Facing Heaven" will have extra seeds. There are only 5 Rocoto seeds left anyway.

Comment

Will probably be able to send some fresh rocotos in from this year. There are very few other chilli growers on my site and no one is growing pubescens that I can see.

Comment

Thanks Sparrow

Comment

The black icicle was my most successful allotment tom- it still got blight, same as all the others, but it was the last to go, and I actually got to pick a few fruit first, unlike the other varieties which just went tiny green-big green- ooh maybe they're turning red- brown.

I'll try it at home next year, we seem to have better luck there!

The achocha Fat Baby's still going, making my stir-fries interesting and confusing the neighbours. I've saved a few spare seeds from it, too!

Like a twit, I got my chillies mixed, so I'm not sure which one's the purple jalapeņo, as the fruits are still green, but I definitely got at least one plant, which is now fruiting, even if I did forget to label it.

The Dancing with Smurfs tomato was a bit of a disappointment, unfortunately- I only got two tiny fruit on its which weren't very tasty, and were a sort of dirty red, rather than the funky blue (I went for blue hoping it'd stop a tomato loving housemate from munching them, as he didn't understand the different colour options, but it's OK, he moved out anyway).
                          My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Originally posted by hamamelis View Post
                            The Dancing with Smurfs tomato was a bit of a disappointment, unfortunately- I only got two tiny fruit on its which weren't very tasty, and were a sort of dirty red, rather than the funky blue (I went for blue hoping it'd stop a tomato loving housemate from munching them, as he didn't understand the different colour options, but it's OK, he moved out anyway).
                            BM didn't like the taste of the Dancing with Smurfs either! My kids loved it last year, I only grew two plants this year (just for the kids!) because I've yet to find a cherry tom that beats black cherry.
                            Black Icicle will always be on my MUST grow list for taste, looks and harvest - they are really huge croppers.

Comment

Dancing with Smurfs from Scarlet & poly

Whatever the others say, I like the taste of DWS. Its like a chameleon, going through various colour changes until it ends up reddish. Thin skinned, very tasty. Maybe those who don't like the taste have eaten them underipe?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Muldovian Green tomato - where is the lurve?

In the VSP I see Tomato - Muldovian Green.

When I hover my mouse over the little blue information button it says ARGH!

Is this a variety that strikes horror into the hearts of tomato growers for some reason?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X