No announcement yet.

Oca (Oxalis tuberosa)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Paul, arrived just now. They look an amazing colour, I can't wait to grow them! I wonder if I should grow some in the mound of rotting grass/ soil. My potatoes did okay in there last year and it's lower now..
    http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Mine have arrived too - They are stunning Paul, thank you. They put the ones that I managed to grow a couple of years ago to shame. I shall enjoy growing these this year

Comment

Thanks from me as well, Paul. The Oca tubers arrived safely today.

Comment

Do be aware that oca contains very high levels of oxalic acid and just eating them straight from harvest is probably not too good for you and gives them a strong flavour. Some types of oca were originally soaked in water for a considerable period but the 'sweet' oca here just needs to be left out in the sun for a few days to improve the taste and reduce the oxalic acid content. I remember feeling quite sick after eating these when we first grew it and did nothing to the tubers.
          Last edited by BertieFox; 01-02-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I've grown Oca before and taken them straight from the pot (always grow them in a pot) into the kitchen then steamed them. Never noticed a strong taste before
            Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

It's well documented (the oxalic acid thing) and people say the flavour improves if you expose them. As for reactions, some people can munch happily on Jerusalem artichokes while I dare not touch the things (I've tried many times, cooking them differently each time) as I get far worse than just wind! Even Chinese artichokes (Crosnes) present me with a 'challenge' and they aren't even remotely related. Must admit my reaction to Oca wasn't as bad as either of those two things!

Comment

I know that Oca is meant to have a lemony taste due to the oxalic acid but nope cannot taste any lemon. I wonder if growing conditions can affect the level of oxalic acid in the Oca?
                Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 02-02-2013, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Have you eaten them already Frosty!
                  Oh Drat - I've just had to eat one It was the smallest - honest. Like a sugary radish - juicy but not lemony. Maybe because they've been maturing for a few days?

Comment

I've been tempted to try one. Will save them as might give a few to a woman on my allotment, who gave me some fruit canes yesterday.
                    http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Nope VC, not eaten any of these ones. Grew Oca before for a couple of years then lost my tubers due to early, heavy frosts. Found what BF was saying interesting as I know a few people who have grown or still grow Oca and nobody has had any ill-effects. Not seen anything on the Vine about ill-effects of Oca, so was wondering if growing conditions are to blame. BF is in France (got to warmer than here), so got me wondering. Oca are yum yum steamed. I admit to having a constitution of a horse and can eat anythng but Mr Frosty is the exact opposite. Strange, huh?
                      Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 03-02-2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

You mean I ate one, thinking that you had, and you haven't I'm embarrassed now It was nice though!!!

Comment

The NZ reds that I got from zaz a year or so ago tasted very lemony for us, at christmas!

Comment

See now I want to taste a lemony Oca. Perhaps not growing conditions but the variety of the Oca that determines the lemony level. I've grown red and yellow ones before but not the NZ strain.
                            Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 03-02-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Don't overcook them too, is what I found. Better steamed I guess, but I lightly boiled them so they still had "bite". Quite liked them.

Comment

Mushy Oca

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X