X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excess Virtual Seed Parcel Seeds - ideas needed

Wowsers....

I think these were the sentiments of the Grapes I met with last week when looking at the 1400+ bags of seeds donated and swapped by the kind Grapes on here.

Which is great.

So, how are we going to get these utilised and grown?

We've got quite a few varieties now where we have loads of seeds [to name a few, Rocket - Gardener's Delight - Various Squashes - California Wonder Peppers - and I could go on and on] - where we have ample numbers of packets donated. Plus we have parsnips which will go out of date if not grown this season.

So we had a chat and discussed what to do to get these used.

Schools were one, we could donate a selection through the Vine.

Selling them on, with the money to go to a charity of the Grapes choosing [yes, we could have a poll].

Newbies - were another. Or do a few of my occasional 'Win a selection of seeds if you guess this' type thing.

A base pack for seed swaps across the country?

The trouble is, that people are too generous! So they donate 20 packs and only pick 10 that they want - so it's built up quite quickly.....and that's not including the fantastic generosity of the people who originally set them up [there are seeds in there that Two-Sheds first put in the very first parcel - I remember as I received it that very first time]

Any ideas?

I'd say give the seeds to schools and community gardens. No matter what, there is always going to be a glut of certain type of seeds. Nothing wrong with the seeds they're just common - fess up, how many packets of Basil seeds do you have? The "common" seeds are a good intro for getting peeps interested in growing your own.

Wee bit iffy on free seeds to newbies, will it attract more seed beggars to the Vine. There was enough of a problem for the Mods a while back with sb's. No offence meant to any newbie on the Vine.
    Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 20-01-2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I think schools are a brilliant idea, it would be great to help encourage schoolchildren to grow their own. Not sure how we would pick the schools but I'm sure that there are loads of ways.

I think that if we somehow give them back to Grapes, they will end up back in another seed swap later on
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I'm with Frosty on this one - there must be loads of schools and gardens which are crying out for seeds .
        Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

There seem to be a number of people on the Vine who grow with schools and community groups. Can we ask them if they would use the surplus seeds on their projects - and give them a pick from the list first?

Comment

I'll probably just pack them in packs of say 40 to cover a large range of veg types - and then perhaps offer them on here to schools or groups when they are packed....with some authorisation from the Head/Lead Teacher/Group Leader of course...

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
              Nothing wrong with the seeds they're just common - fess up, how many packets of Basil seeds do you have?:
              22. Mostly common and garden Basil, with some speciality types....

Comment

You could set up your own Market Garden Nursery now Zaz!!!!... and pack in the day job

I like the idea of VC's

...also a few competitions - esp if peeps can choose what seeds they'd like
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My only problem with schools, having set up an Eco club at my children's old primary is that the veg aren't allowed to be eaten at school (!) and we found everything rotting once the children finish for summer. Tomatoes weren't welcomed either as "they take too long"! It wasn't long before "I gave up".
                  How about nurseries, old people's homes, or shelters/rehabilitation centres?
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    You could set up your own Market Garden Nursery now Zaz!!!!... and pack in the day job

I like the idea of VC's

...also a few competitions - esp if peeps can choose what seeds they'd like
                    These aren't my seeds! My own seed collection is a whole nother thread.....

We could maybe start a photo comp [just thinking of what other people do] and the winner wins their choice of say 40 packs....for the price of an SAE...
                    Last edited by zazen999; 20-01-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      22. Mostly common and garden Basil, with some speciality types....
                      Only 19 Basils- and no thanks, I don't want more.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                        How about nurseries, old people's homes, or shelters/rehabilitation centres?
                        Liking it - schools also usually have a budget which some places won't have....

Comment

The seeds were given as Swaps, thus the level remains constant or increases. Perhaps we could offer some to Grapes who don't have anything (or very little) to exchange but would like to try some of the seeds. Maybe the need to swap has been a deterrent to some who think that their seeds are too common to swap. It could still be subject to the usual rules about number of posts etc and SAEs.

Comment

Well if nobody wants basil. How about we grow some and distribute plants to homeless shelters. They cook for people! Or give them the seed.

I also agree with VC's idea. Allow people to take out a fixed number of packs in return for an SAE. Especially in times of hardship. Spread the seed love (that sounds wrong), but you get my ideas!?
                            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I do - but as they are the Grapes' seeds, not mine - it needs to be very carefully thought though and agreed so that nobody gets annoyed....it's just there are so many and they need to be sown and grown....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X