Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, I knew it was a long shot and I wouldn't want to give anyone extra work to do.

It is hard being charitable isn't it?
    Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
    Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

the friends of mackworth allotments and community gardens would be very grateful for seeds to grow in our community plots. if our plots are succesful we hope to donate excess produce and the fruits of our community gardens to our local centres including the padley centre and the queens mission soup kitchen the ymca/sally army...
      large sae available for seeds
      regards
      phil
      this will be a battle from the heart
      cymru am byth

Comment

Phil - you have my vote and any others like you. Good luck with your gardens - very worthwhile,

Comment

Phil has reminded me that our local time bank has an allotment. Some of the produce grown is used in the Food for All community cafe. People who help on the allotment, or work as part of the gardening team who tidy up the public planters (with the blessing of the council) earn credits that can be spent on having work done in return.

Environmental Projects

They may be grateful to receive seeds.
          Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.

Comment

*this isn't a place to make cases for individual projects - that will come when we have decided what to do with them...

Comment

I've been having a look for likely groups in Kent, then got distracted into job hunting. I like the idea of care homes growing some, if some of their residents were still able. I know my Mum would have appreciated the chance to do some planting before she got too ill, although it would probably take individual grapes to contact them locally to find ones that might like to participate. They should be able to use whatever is grown as well.

Children's nurseries that do not close down for holidays might be possible (one local to me has taken on one of our allotment plots, so sweet to see the tinies walking up their in their hi-vis jackets).

I'm in favour of any scheme that gets the seeds planted so they don't go to waste and would be willing to contact any such organisations local to me if we decide to go with that suggestion.
              Last edited by BarleySugar; 21-01-2012, 12:28 AM.
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                *this isn't a place to make cases for individual projects - that will come when we have decided what to do with them...
                Ooops, sorry. I guess I got carried away...........

Comment

Originally posted by singleseeder View Post
                  Ooops, sorry. I guess I got carried away...........
                  It's ok - I'm sure every Grape could find a local 'place' but then there would be no seeds left at all! We may only have, say, 10 to give away [10 sets of 40 packs] so I don't want to disappoint anyone...

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    It's ok - I'm sure every Grape could find a local 'place' but then there would be no seeds left at all! We may only have, say, 10 to give away [10 sets of 40 packs] so I don't want to disappoint anyone...
                    So to save you more work, it might make sense to contact a national (and here I have to say UK - sorry but...) organisation who could take all 10 packets and distribute them to its sub groups. That could then become a regular place you could send stuff any time you had a pack ready.

I'd happily donate some stamps to defray costs if that were needed.
                    Last edited by marchogaeth; 21-01-2012, 10:39 AM.
                    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Where do large seed seed manufacturers donate old seed to? Don't say the shops!!
                      I think the people most likely to benefit from eating the vegetables are the old folks and homeless. There are help centres in every town. Another idea is to grow these and then donate the veg plants to the RSPCA (just an example) for their plant fayres. I do this every year with my surplus. What about HMPS? Or youth offender teams/probation services have to go in to council run old people's homes and carry out community project work. Although I would guess they are sponsored/provided with budgets.

I just can't think of unsupported charitable organizations out there...
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Rehabilitation centres? there must be a few around the country that have gardening as an activity, to help people recover from accident/illness.
                        "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X