Sweet potato cuttings giveaway

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet potato cuttings giveaway

I tried this last year and didn't get any takers, but we have some different people this year, so I thought I'd offer again.

It's getting time for me to take some sweet potato cuttings to overwinter as small plants for next year's crop, so would anyone else like some?

The variety is T65. Pink skin with white flesh. Heavier cropping than most, and probably your best bet for growing them in this country. I got 21kg from 8 plants last year, grown outdoors through black plastic. Two of the plants gave 10kg between them (these two had more space than the others, so clearly that's the key).

I also have a new purple variety (Erato Violet), which is as-yet untested, so I can't say how good the yield or taste will be. It's growing outside through black plastic, just like the others. The plants are certainly growing strong, though, so hopefully the yield will at least be decent.

I'l send rooted cuttings. When they arrive, stick them in water to perk them up, then pot up (I put two in a 1 litre pot) and put somewhere bright and warm to grow on.
    Once colder weather comes, they ideally want overwintering somewhere coolish (10-15) and bright - too warm and they'll grow too much over winter, too cold and they'll die. Having said that, they will cope with colder temperatures as long as you go easy on the water - I overwintered one of mine in my conservatory last year and it went as low as 2c on some nights. They looked a bit worse for wear come spring, but they started growing strongly again when things warmed up.
    You can plant these cuttings out as-is next spring, but I find it's better to strike new cuttings from the new growth. Move them somewhere warm in early March and start feeding them. They will quickly put on new growth, and take 4" cuttings from this until you have enough, rooting them in water then potting up once roots have formed (they root ridiculously easily; you should expect a 100% success rate).

Either SAE or a swap (I'm interested in beans for drying, especially Gigantes; mild chillis or interesting sweet peppers; tomatoes that do well outside; pepino seeds; or any unusual fruit or veg seeds).
    Last edited by ameno; 29-07-2021, 03:02 AM.

I'll take you up on a swap. Well assuming any of the seeds I have takes your fancy. I have various tomato seeds that are suitable for outside tho I'll have to check. Off the top of my head pretty sure I've got some mountain magic, father frost, stupice, latah and urbaniky and bloody butcher. All of which have cropped ok for me outdoors.

I am growing gigante but if you want the beans for growing next year they are growing next to various other beans so not sure it that means they won't grow true?

Mild chillis I've got a few that I'm isolating. Sugar rush peach long and antep aki dolma but you'll get both of these in the chilli seed swap if you are going to be joining in. I'm also trying to isolate venezulan tiger. A habenero but supposed to be very mild. Never tasted it. Not got any fruit yet tho so who knows.
    ​​​​

Comment

Your antep aki dolma is the only one I might be interested in.
      I looked up Sugar Rush Peach and it is apparently around 100,000 scovilles. Definitely not mild. Indeed, even antep aki dolma seems more like a medium, but I'd like to give it a go anyway.

None of the tomatoes really appeal, I'm afraid. I have Mountain Magic, and the most of the others just seem inferior versions (i.e. about the same size but not blight resistant).

As for the beans, you're right, the probably won't come true.

I would certainly be willing to swap for some antep aki dolma seeds, though.

Comment

Okey doke. Well the peppers I've isolated aren't ripe yet but they are growing well. I'll keep you posted. I've got loads of chilli seeds so likely I've got some other very mild ones so will have a look.

Comment

Any other takers?

Originally posted by SimpleSimon View Post
          Okey doke. Well the peppers I've isolated aren't ripe yet but they are growing well. I'll keep you posted. I've got loads of chilli seeds so likely I've got some other very mild ones so will have a look.
          Have you had chance to have a look if there's anything else suitable in your collection?

Also, how many cuttings did you want, and of which variety(s)?

Comment

Hi sorry only just saw this. Right mild chillis I have Aji Fantasy, Trinidad perfume, apple crisp, jalepeno fooled you . Also friggitello which is a sweet pepper tho substitute for padrons as a frying pepper but with no heat at all. All my padrons seem to be a bit too spicy for a plate full so I was recommended these as an alternative.

I also have loads of new Zealand spinach seeds If you want some. Not a true spinach but grows great in summer so a good alternative between the usual spinach periods. Prolific too.

Comment

Hi sorry only just saw this. Right mild chillis I have Aji Fantasy, Trinidad perfume, apple crisp, jalepeno fooled you . Also friggitello which is a sweet pepper tho substitute for padrons as a frying pepper but with no heat at all. All my padrons seem to be a bit too spicy for a plate full so I was recommended these as an alternative.

I also have loads of new Zealand spinach seeds If you want some. Not a true spinach but grows great in summer so a good alternative between the usual spinach periods. Prolific too.

Apple Crisp sounds good, and maybe also Jalapeno Fooled You, in addition to the previously mentioned Antep aki dolma (if three varieties is not too much).

How many cuttings did you want? And did you want both varieties, or just one of them?

Comment

Sorry, Ameno. Been away. You can have as many seeds as you like, it's no bother at all. I'll send you some Aji fantasy too as it's really as mild as chillis get the ones I have. And the plants are prolific with really pretty fruit.

Sweet potato wise I think I can probably spare a small space in my tunnel next year. Maybe a meter square so enough to fill that? I've never grown sweet potatoes so the easiest ones
                ​​​​

Comment

T-65 are definitely the easiest.
                  In terms of root space, you could fit 3-4 plants in a square metre, but if they do well then the vines will spread further. The vines can just be allowed to grow in between taller plants, though (they won't climb in their own, although can be persuaded to grow up a trellis with some training).
                  Also, if you live in the South then you should be able to grow them reasonably well outside in a sunny spot. I certainly do.
                  I'll send half a dozen or so, just to be sure you have enough (I have a pretty nearly limitless supply, anyway).

I'll be taking the cuttings in a couple days time, and then they take about a week in water to get a decent number of roots, so I can probably send them out as soon as the first week of September.

Comment

Sorry, Ameno. Been away. You can have as many seeds as you like, it's no bother at all. I'll send you some Aji fantasy too as it's really as mild as chillis get the ones I have. And the plants are prolific with really pretty fruit.

Sweet potato wise I think I can probably spare a small space in my tunnel next year. Maybe a meter square so enough to fill that? I've never grown sweet potatoes so the easiest ones
                    ​​​​
                    The cuttings are pretty nearly ready to send out now (well, in a couple days, anyway), so what address do you want them sent to?

Comment

​​​​
                      Are you still around? The roots are getting rather long, so the cuttings need sending out as soon as possible, really. Although I can always take more if these ones go over, so it's not yet desperately urgent.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X