Saving seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving seeds

to save (pardon the pun) re-posting on the many threads ... Saving your own seeds is easier with things like Peas and beans and Sweet Peas as they tend to self pollenate before the flower opens. but if you want to save other things then it can get difficult if you have more than one variety of chilli, pepper tomato or the likesso what you need is an Isolation cage this link may help. and if you don't want to do it with a paint brush get a few maggots from the local fishing shop as blow flies make good pollenators and they don't sting and pop those in the cage.

Seedsaving is easy, but do it right: How to make your own isolation cages to keep your pepper and chili varieties from crossing.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Started 3 seasons ago saving seed. Have been surprised at how easy it was/is and look forward to see what comes up.
    Must be doing something right as when i mention to the neighbours i have some of my own plants they are pleased to get some.
    Bob.

Comment

I agree Nick its really easy with beans and peas.

I last bought runner bean seeds in 2009 been saving the seeds every since, same with Telephone peas I've had those since 2010.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Well, I was having a tidy up in the greenhouse this week and found a packet of beans seed I saved in 2012 ! Dwarf French bean 'The Prince' so I've sown 6 to see how viable they are if they do go OK then that will be 5 dwarf frech beans 2 climbing French beans and a solitary runner bean I save (other seed are saved too). If you're interested in the varieties then they are

Dwarf French
        The Prince
        Tendergreen
        Pongo
        Rocquencourt
        Orinocco

Climbing French
        Blue Lake
        Borlotti

Runner Bean
        Liberty
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X