This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
    Mag is short for magazine when you don’t have the energy to type the whole word
    Oh no! I searched around for the word all over, hahaha!

Thanks for the enlightenment!

Comment

Hiya ...whos in this year .
      i have
      Ethel Watkins
      Czech Breast
      Olka Polka

let me know

Comment

Unfortunately, I cannot contribute anything because as you know, it's not allowed to ship seeds to the UK.

Has someone here ignored this and sent seeds to the UK nevertheless?
        It would be interesting to know, if they scan all envelopes to see what's in there. I cannot imagine that this is feasable.

Some would slip through, no?
        Last edited by Iris_Germany; 24-11-2021, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iris_Germany View Post
          Has someone here ignored this and sent seeds to the UK nevertheless?
          It would be interesting to know, if they scan all envelopes to see what's in there. I cannot imagine that this is feasable.

Some would slip through, no?
          Not worth it, Iris. If they did get spotted, you might not get into trouble in Germany but possibly the recipient in the UK would have to answer questions. I've tried importing things the other way from the UK. Books don't seem to be too much trouble, though the packaging of one had clearly been opened. Other permitted items are more trouble than I or exporters are prepared to go to.

Edited to say: We have very easy-going modding on this forum, but in part because we members are mindful this is a family forum and try and stick by the rules: general politeness to each other, though teasing is allowed; no swearing, no advocating illegal behaviour, etc. I'm not a mod, but I know what a difficult job modding is and how lucky we are in this forum to have such good ones.
          Last edited by Snoop Puss; 25-11-2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Not worth it, Iris. If they did get spotted, you might not get into trouble in Germany but possibly the recipient in the UK would have to answer questions. I've tried importing things the other way from the UK. Books don't seem to be too much trouble, though the packaging of one had clearly been opened. Other permitted items are more trouble than I or exporters are prepared to go to.

Edited to say: We have very easy-going modding on this forum, but in part because we members are mindful this is a family forum and try and stick by the rules: general politeness to each other, though teasing is allowed; no swearing, no advocating illegal behaviour, etc. I'm not a mod, but I know what a difficult job modding is and how lucky we are in this forum to have such good ones.
            Thanks, Snoop Puss. I haven't read that swearing is not allowed. I do it mildly: "Jeeze" and so one, and I cannot promise that I would not do it again if I am very(positively) impressed by something. It is part of my personality, and I would not be happy to let it go completely. My language is very vivid, in German and in other languages too. French is my second language, and English my third. I am not perfect of the latter two but I write always in a pictorial way in all three languages because I like it. And mild swearing is a part of expressing what I feel at that moment.

Anyway, the swearing is not important at all. If I wanted absolutely to stay here in this forum, I could certainly straign myself to quit it in my comments. More important to me is why you felt it necessary to point out to me all these issues. Openly.

Certainly I did not wanted to "advertise" illegal behaviour. If I ship seeds to the UK and they get confiscated, it would be to my disadvantage too, you know. A bigger sized letter costs nearly 7 Euros, the seeds would be thrown in the trashbin, and the effort going to the post office etc. was in vaine too. I wanted to know how you treat this new development since the UK is not a member of the EU anymore and if you have maybe found a way around it.

I have btw. sent a letter to France to Nicos with tomato seeds. On my costs. I wanted to contribute something to the forum, so I did. If it had been possible with the UK, I would have done this too. I do not want to steer up trouble, nor to solicit felonies. I myself do not have any need in seeds for the next season, so I did not want to have anything back. Should there have been a way to get my tomato seeds to you in the UK, I would have sent them. For nothing. Only for kindness because I have them and maybe someone else could use them. That was all what was behind my question above. I do not have any advantage sending seeds somewhere where it causes legal issues.

Concerning the politeness and "family"-issues you mention, I was not aware that I intruded with my behaviour somewhere and that I wasn't polite in general. (If you bring up these two issues, you must have a reason for it). So I assume it's because of the arguments I had with Ameo. Ameo is not impolite. At the contrary. And her/his advices base certainly on very good knowledge and meticulous research. But he/she gives a lot of unsolicited advice and tells everything what he/she knows about the whole topic (I do not know the gender of Ameo, so I have to phrase it this way). To me it leaves a taste of patronising/lecturing, and therefore I did not want to interact with him/her. I think I have the right to feel like this. It sounds rude, but it is at it is.

I am in an awkward situation now. If I ignore answers of members, I feel bad. If I answer, I have to tell him/her that this is all very interesting, but that I know already 90 % of what he/she is instructing me to do or not to do. There is a third answer, which would be: "Thank you very much for this precious advice". This would be polite but insincere, so this is the last thing I would do.

I am not happy that I have to take up again about what myself I consider to be impolite or not respectful.

However, I am fully aware that this argument with Ameo created friction behind the curtains here. And that Nicos tries hard to harmonize the situation. I do not want Nicos to be in this tiring position, because she is one of the friendliest and most cordial persons I met. She explained very kindly everything to me and told me when I did not understand something because of the language barriage. (To Nicos therefore I write a short explaining.)

So. What to do. This is not what I wanted, when I joined a garden forum in England.

You are indeed a very tight circle here. And your hints, Snoop Puss, about politeness, swearing, unwanted conflicts and soliciting illegal deeds, did not go unheard.
            I therefore cancel my membership later today.

Best wishes, and thanks to all the friendly welcome I got here.

Iris
            Last edited by Iris_Germany; 25-11-2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I'm still planning on being in if its not too late in terms of numbers

Thats for chillis and tomatoes.
              The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
              William M. Davies

Comment

just you and me for the toms .

Comment

Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
                  just you and me for the toms .
                  Cool, I have a good number of saved varieties so let me know if you fancy anything in particular from these and I'll start sorting them. Have as many as you like?

Lotos, Trixi, Gardeners Sweetheart, Goldkrone, Sungella, Tsunshigo Chinese, Ruths Perfect.

Ruths Perfect is the best/most productive large tomato that I've ever grown

William M. Davies

Comment

Ruths Perfect sounds great , ill take any thing , they all sound good.

Comment

I can't join in, but Ruth's Perfect sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Seeds on there way . Paul.

Comment

Seeds received

Thanks for arranging this. Much appreciated every time, and perhaps a shame that only a few took part this year in the tomatoes and chillis. Still nice to boost my already bulging seed box though.

Thanks again.
                          William M. Davies

Comment

Paul . the new one i tried ( Czech Breast ) was one i really liked , and will be growing again this year.

Comment

Closing doing is one .

If any one wants to do one this year, let me know.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X