Clear All

I'll be growing;

Banana Legs
    Noire De crimee
    Purple Russian
    "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
    - Henry Beard

Comment

Peteyd ,,,, i have put them next to your name..don't worry if it don't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
        Nick
        if you want to join in , your Golden Sunrise would be a good one.
        and San Marzano would be ok.

Moneymaker
        Gardeners Delight .you get them on mags alot ,so not good ones to swap.
        I won't this year Mrs T as I'm not sure what I'll be growing yet due to all the work in the garden / allotment thats going on .

Yes I agree with the moneymaker and Gardeners delight thats why I was looking at Kenilworth to replace the moneymaker. I might drop Gardeners Delight as well now I grow Sungold as it looks better and is just as good if not better.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Thanks for the effort to get another swap going. Put me down for another round. Will try to update my list of tomatoes asap, but I do have a list of nearly 20 'new to me' varieties so wil probably go with the best of those!
          The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
          William M. Davies

Comment

Will put your name down Paulieb

I am going and try to save from
            Ethel Watkins best early.....(i liked the name) and
            Divci prs....(czec.h breast
            Last edited by Ms-T; 12-01-2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

My ambitious list includes the following tomatoes....

Columbianum
              Chesnut Chocolate
              Trixi
              Prince Zebra
              Kenai Mondo Green
              Sibiersky Malakite
              Kozula 14 Megagronisty
              Dwarf Aftershock
              Buratino

A selection from Real Seeds, Vertiloom, and Tomatoeden.....will see how things pan out during the year.
              The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
              William M. Davies

Comment

I probably should have asked (and i'm sure there is a thread somewhere explaining it all) but how does this seed swap work?
                - Henry Beard

Comment

Hi Peteyd ,Save 2 varieties of tomatoes (no F1's) with 6-8 seeds per pack. or more if you want too,
                  see how many people made to the end of the season.....
                  say 6 are still in ,,you send me 5 bags of seeds , of each .that you have saved ..with SAE..
                  i sort them out , and you get back ..one bag of what every one as sent in.

Hope that makes sense.. if not someone will put it better....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
                    Hi Peteyd ,Save 2 varieties of tomatoes (no F1's) with 6-8 seeds per pack. or more if you want too,
                    see how many people made to the end of the season.....
                    say 6 are still in ,,you send me 5 bags of seeds , of each .that you have saved ..with SAE..
                    i sort them out , and you get back ..one bag of what every one as sent in.

Hope that makes sense.. if not someone will put it better....lol

makes perfect sense to me! looking forward to it.
                    - Henry Beard

Comment

At lease you did not say as clear as mud...ha ha
                      Last edited by Ms-T; 20-01-2021, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I backed out last year because my plants didn't look well. The greenhouses are getting a good clean (when the weather's not so bad) so I'll be in but I haven't worked out what I'll be growing this year yet.

(That all assumes that the ability to go on holiday in 2021 isn't so inviting that I don't grow anything)
                        Last edited by MarkPelican; 21-01-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Glad to have you back Mark , i will put your name down..

As for going on holiday ....who knows what will happen.

Comment

I got a reply today about sending seeds to France & I can’t believe it’s so expensive for what it is,this is what they said (I deleted their name to protect identity?) I wonder what the acid extraction method is....(I was thinking we don’t have any virus/disease in our tomato seeds that the EU hasn’t already encountered so why is it even needed?)

Hello Jane

Thank you for contacting our helpline. To send Tomato seed to France you would need to obtain a Phytosanitary certificate.

The cost is as follows

Fees

Concessionary (up to £5000 in value of exports or £750 of services) application attached below

Inspection visit £63.80 (½ hour)

Laboratory fee- £16.78 per sample

Phytosanitary certificate £12.76
                            • You can apply online thorough the gateway and edomero on a HH90a.
                              If you do decide to apply on line I will need your full address so that I can register you on our system.
                            • You can also apply using a paper application at an extra cost of £15.76. application below
                            • They will also need to meet the followingrequirementThe seeds will have been obtained by means of an appropriate acid extraction method or an equivalent method

I would then have to collect a sample of the seeds- If small numbers of seed are being exported we can take a representative sample from all the varieties

and submit as one sample there is the risk that if the sample fails the tests then all the seed lots fail. The seed unfortunately cannot be returned as the tests are destructive
                            • The seed is then tested by our laboratory testing times are up to 3 weeks for all the virus/viroid and bacterial test required
                            • If the seed passes a HH90b would then need to be put online if a paper application has not been submitted
                            • I would then issue a Phytosanitary certificate just prior to the seed being shipped.

If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Plant Health and Seeds Inspector

Covering North East Essex

Comment

Wow!
                              Thanks for asking.

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Jane...That is really expensive.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X