This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet potato cuttings giveaway

It's getting time for me to take some sweet potato cuttings to overwinter as small plants for next year's crop, so would anyone else like some?

The variety is T65. Pink skin with white flesh. Heavier cropping than most, and probably your best bet for growing them in this country. I got 5kg from three plants grown outside through black plastic last year.

I'l send rooted cuttings. When they arrive, stick them in water to perk them up, then pot up (I put two in a 1 litre pot) and put somewhere bright and warm to grow on.
    Once colder weather comes, they ideally want overwintering somewhere coolish (10-15) and bright - too warm and they'll grow too much over winter, too cold and they'll die. Having said that, they will cope with colder temperatures as long as you go easy on the water - I overwintered one of mine in my conservatory last year and it went as low as 2c on some nights. They looked a bit worse for wear come spring, but they started growing strongly again when things warmed up.
    You can plant these cuttings out as-is next spring, but I find it's better to strike new cuttings from the new growth. Move them somewhere warm in early March and start feeding them. They will quickly put on new growth, and take 4" cuttings from this until you have enough, rooting them in water then potting up once roots have formed (they root ridiculously easily; you should expect a 100% success rate).

Either SAE or a swap (I'm interested in beans for drying, especially Gigantes; mild chillis or interesting sweet peppers; tomatoes that do well outside; or any unusual fruit or veg seeds).
    Last edited by ameno; 06-08-2020, 02:03 PM.

That is a very, very kind offer Ameno - thank you. Personally I'm a fan of the orange fleshed ones but wanted to say it is lovely for you to offer
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

No one want any?

Comment

I would have loved some but maybe not a good idea living in France with longer postal times involved.

Brill offer though -I hope someone takes you up on it.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          I would have loved some but maybe not a good idea living in France with longer postal times involved.
          Royal Mail estimates 3-5 days delivery time. If I sent already rooted cuttings with the roots wrapped in damp tissue in a plastic bag then I would be very surprised if at least 80% didn't survive. They're surprisingly resilient. Might look rather limp on arrival, but they should perk up after a few hours in a glass of water.
          The bigger issue might be the cost of postage...

Comment

Yeh...I did think of that too.Most parcel post takes between 1-2 weeks too , especially as it's August and half the staff will be on holiday

Nice idea , but I think I should decline...Hope you find a home for them!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X