Chilli plug plant swap 2020

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilli plug plant swap 2020

Small Pumpkin has bigger things on her mind this year so isn't arranging this swap. Would anyone be interested in continuing it?

I know that lots of people won't have sown their chillies yet so I'm not asking for firm commitments, just an indication of interest. I still have my baccatums and annuums to sow, therefore no idea yet what I might have spare of those.

I'll keep the list below updated as more seeds germinate and plants are given away.
    Ready to go:
    • Choc Habanero (2)
    • Rocoto La Paz Rojo (2)

In the pipeline:
    • BBG7 White (3)
    • BBG7 Orange (1)
    • Aji Omnicolour (4)
    • Volcan de Teneguia (4) - One for Small Pumpkin
    • Goatsweed (2)
    • Aribibi Gusano (1)

Spoken for:
    • Purple Peach CGN 21500 (1) - Simple Simon
    • BBG7 Caramel (1) - Small Pumpkin
    • Volcan de Teneguia (1) - Small Pumpkin

Purple Peach is lovely. It's closely related to Cheiro Roxa but its pods are larger and spherical, not the UFO/drop shape of Cheiro Roxa. It has the same dark-tinted leaves and is relatively small and well behaved. The pods are dark green/purple and ripen to peach/purple. When I grew it previously, the flowers kept dropping off until well into the season, then all of a sudden it set dozens of pods all at once. I'm hoping to have a second spare seedling of this but it's being a bit shy.

Volcan de Teneguia is a baccatum but I don't know much about it. It's named after a volcano on La Palma; I've been there and walked round the crater rim (it's a tourist attraction) so that tempted me to grow it. Anyone else up for an experiment with a relatively unknown variety?

I grew Aji Omnicolour a few years ago. I kept one in a pop bottle on the office windowsill and another in a large pot outdoors at home. It's smaller than other baccatums I've grown, crops earlier, and repeats throughout the summer. People say it's good for snacking on but I found it slightly too hot for me to eat raw, but low to medium heat when cooked. I recommend it.

Goatsweed- the name put me off this for several years but I read up on it last year when trying to identify SP's mystery hairy plant. Decided I wanted to grow it. Got to be worth a try.

Normal swap rules apply:
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...nce_76437.html

How I pack my seedlings for posting (with photos) can be seen here:
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1577003

That's probably overkill. If you wrap them with plenty of cushioning they should be fine. Reminds me to start saving toilet roll tubes instead of putting them in the recycling.
    Last edited by Mitzi; 17-02-2020, 10:54 AM.

I can’t believe you haven’t had any takers yet! It’s been nearly 7 hours
    Come on chilli heads (& chilli head wannabes) this is an awesome way to try something you’ve never grown before. Mitzi always has some very cool and unusual varieties
    I’d love to join in, I could probably manage only bagging up one lot of chillies. But I’m being so strict with my self this year. I don’t have any spares to swap
    https://m.facebook.com/Isle-of-Mull-...9854614879285/

Comment

I usually join in but I haven't down a thing yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
        I can’t believe you haven’t had any takers yet! It’s been nearly 7 hours
        Come on chilli heads (& chilli head wannabes) this is an awesome way to try something you’ve never grown before. Mitzi always has some very cool and unusual varieties
        I’d love to join in, I could probably manage only bagging up one lot of chillies. But I’m being so strict with my self this year. I don’t have any spares to swap
        I think, like Scarlet says, it’s too early yet for most people.

I’m going for mostly common varieties this year though. I’ve come to realise that there’s usually a good reason why certain things are popular. And so far the fancier ones aren’t germinating for me. Only 4 of my first 11 varieties sown have germinated.

My latest batch is 5 different Bubblegums so if some of those succeed, I might have something more interesting to offer. Fingers crossed!

I don’t know how you can not have any spares.
        Last edited by Mitzi; 25-01-2020, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
          I’m going for mostly common varieties this year though. I’ve come to realise that there’s usually a good reason why certain things are popular.
          I think the same can be said for tomatoes! Also as my OH is getting older so is his tolerance for anything hot. I've got jars of chilli jams, chutneys and pickles that haven't been touched.
          I've sown some old tri colour variegata - not holding out much hope for those and I'll have a look for something else.
          Last edited by Scarlet; 25-01-2020, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I'm gonna have absolutely loads spare but I need them gone by the 23rd of Feb. I doubt any of them will be quite up to a night in an box by then.

If anyone is Nottingham based and forgot to sow their superhots tho I've loads in cells that will be getting composted on the 23rd if I've not given them away by then. So feel free to msg me. I've also got plenty of less hot ones too but not potted them on just yet.

Comment

What's the significance of the 23rd?

In previous years a few seedlings have got slightly chilled en route but AFAIK they have all recovered. Sending them early in the week during a mild spell helps too.

Comment

I'm going to Thailand for 3 weeks. Means I need them gone from under my lights so I can sow all my toms into 3 inch pots before I go. I could keep them in the cells and they would just about fit but will likely need daily attention which probably isn't going to work. The ones I've potted on should be ok for 3-4 days on a single water.

Comment

They should be fine with an overnight in the post - they are protected by a box.

Comment

Interested but not sure if I’m going to have anything you don’t have already to swap. Most of mine (still to germinate) are common varieties.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      They should be fine with an overnight in the post - they are protected by a box.
                      I'm happy to try rather than waste them. I'll post here in a couple of weeks exactly I have spare.

Comment

What are you growing? I could do a swap - but I've only got my tri colour variegata in so far that is a no show ...and I'm not doing very hot varieties. But I'm happy to put something in my prop now that you haven't got going.

Comment

Is that to me? All sorts. That said the one thing I wanted to grow quite a few of was ring of fire and none of them have germinated (yet) which is typical. I will have spare of the following on 23rd...

Choc Habernero
                          Orange Habernero.
                          Carolina Reaper (loads)
                          Trinidad Scorpian
                          Yellow 7 pot
                          Choc 7 pot
                          White Bhut J
                          Bahmainian Goat (only 1 spare)
                          Purple Cayenne
                          Peri Peri
                          Jalepeno
                          Padron
                          Golden Cayenne
                          Ancho Grande.

I've also sown at least 2 seeds of every one of types from the seed swap (10 types?) I intend to grow on one of them so can prick out the spares too.

I also will have a few spares of these sweet peppers

Tangerine dream
                          Corno di toro rosso
                          Purple Beauty
                          Amanda
                          Sweet chocolate
                          Lipstick

Comment

I really should stop looking at this thread! I really want to join in now. Especially after seeing simple Simons list.

I must resist

Is there a way I can lock myself out of a thread ?
                            https://m.facebook.com/Isle-of-Mull-...9854614879285/

Comment

Love the plug swap but really have restricted my growing this year so doubt I’ll have any spares. And I’ve not labled what I’ve sown so it’s like a mini mystery I know what I’ve sown but not which cells
                              Maybe next year I’ll be back to the swaps!

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X