X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea + Bean Seed Saving Circle 2020

Okay here it is folks.

Who would like to join in a Pea + Bean Seed Saving Circle this year?
    Save seeds from at least 2 varieties of pea or bean (not F1 or close relatives), bag them up at the end of the year, post them to me with some stamps (for small parcel excess stamps will be returned) for return postage and your forum name, and grow some luvly peas and beans from our gardens next year.

Anyone interested?
    Closes to members on 31st October. Anyone who hasn't said what they have saved by 31st October will be removed from the list. Peeps must meet the vine swap rules by this date.

Feel free to combine your circle seeds with my others circles (inc. those outside this forum) and the VSP.

Struggling for starter seeds?
    I am happy to send some seeds in need of T.L.C. should you need them, however you will need to send an S.A.E.

Tips here for seed saving

P+B Seed Circle 2019
    P+B Seed Circle 2017
    P+B Seed Circle 2016
    P+B Seed Circle 2012

1. Norfolkgrey - BB Black Russian, DFB Adour, Pea Greensage and CFB Veitch's
    2. Mcdood - Canadian Wonder and something else
    3. Muckdiva - DFB Painted Pony and Hutterite Soup
    4. Vegi Potager -
    5. Workslave -

Could a Mod please sticky this thread?
    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 22-02-2020, 07:11 AM.
    Edibles (All In) Seed Saving Circle 2020
    Pea + Bean Seed Saving Circle 2020
    Flower Seed Saving Circle 2020

sigpic

What a great idea yes please.

Canadian Wonder and something else, probably a bean or a pea (maybe some gray pays).
    Last edited by mcdood; 15-01-2020, 05:01 PM. Reason: Added variety

Comment

Me please! I’m planning to save DFB Painted Pony and Hutterite Soup (amongst others...)
      All at once I hear your voice
      And time just slips away
      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Currently I plan to grow and save the following, most of which are new to me so exciting times .
        Let me know if there any of these you would particularly like to be included in the swap, assuming I'm successful of course.
        CFB:Tiger, Polish, Inca, Blue Lake, Veitchs
        DFB: Ferrari, Nuns Belly Button,Canadian Wonder
        Runner: Enorma and Hestia
        Peas:Salmon Flowered Crown, Parsley, Giant Stride and Carlin

Comment

Hello all, If I have any success (& don't eat them all) I am planning to grow

CFB- Solista (borlotti), Cobra, district nurse
          DFB- Flagrano (flagolet) Cupidon
          Runner- Gigantes

(Cobra and cupidon for pods , the rest for beans.) Please let me know what ones are most suitable for the swap (or not!)
          V.P.
          The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Just be aware if you are on an allotment or growing more than one runner they cross easily.

The following is taken from Realseeds:- Runner bean flowers need to be 'tripped' by wind or insects before the beans set, and are much more likely to cross with other varieties grown nearby than french beans. Ideally, to be sure that no crossing takes place, seed crops of runner bean should be at least 1/2 a mile away from any other varieties of runner bean. Bear in mind, though, that buildings, trees, and other barriers will limit insect flight patterns, and if you are gardening in a town or built up area, you are likely to have relatively little problems with crossing unless your immediate neighbours are also growing runner beans. If they are - or on an open site such as an allotment - your only answer may be to try to persuade your neighbours to grow the same type of runner.
            Edibles (All In) Seed Saving Circle 2020
            Pea + Bean Seed Saving Circle 2020
            Flower Seed Saving Circle 2020

sigpic

Comment

I like this website for info... https://www.beansandherbs.co.uk/seed-saving/
              I am not going to be able to grow all of my choices if I need 10m between each FB. I should be ok with my 1 Runner as I don't think anyone else GYO down my street and the nearest lottie is 2 miles away.

Solution to problem... Give some of the others to my dad to grow, he has plenty of space! I'll just have to negotiate his percentage, or bribe him with tomato plants, a courgette or 2 and probably some of my seed potatoes
              V.P.

Comment

I use those VegiP! They used to have open days - not sure if they do now.

# I save with less than 10metres apart I take a few from the middle of the row but do try to keep them as far apart as necessary. Sometimes I'll just grow a couple of plants in the GH or on the front of the house in a pot.

Comment

Realseeds advice -
                  French beans are self-pollinating, mostly before the flowers open. Despite this, they can be crossed by insects with other varieties nearby. The extent of crossing varies by area. If you are just saving seed for your own use, grow your seed crop of french beans at least 6 feet away from any other variety (12 feet if possible), and you are unlikely to have a significant problem with crossing in the UK.
                  A Chicken walks with small steps. Be more Chicken
                  https://gardenchicken.blogspot.com/
                  @realveggiechicken

Comment

^^^ that's more like what I do! Not had a problem yet.

Comment

Thanks for the additional advice Scarlet and VC. Still, I'll get my dad to grow some anyway, because... more beans!

Down to my last couple of meals worth from last year
                      V.P.

Comment

Don't know if anyone here likes root trainers for indoor sowing. Today picked up some Hammicks branded for £3 in homebase... I would need to save loo rolls all year to have enough otherwise
                        V.P.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8F915BD6-34E0-4BFF-AC98-35420103480D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	558.0 KB
ID:	2386095

Click image for larger version

Name:	A4B7DCC5-AEE9-4C5F-95D6-01AC3E798357.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	2386096

Paper pots are worth a shot sometimes. You can then start off parsnips in the green house if you make extra long ones
                          Easy to make, I wrap around a tin. I haven't got a pot maker.

# I also use lots of plastic modules though I have used the same ones for many years.

Comment

to grow out.

Pea, Oskar (Very dwarf early)
                            Pea, Bijou (Tall GIANT sugar)
                            Pea, Prews special (tutankhamoun pea)
                            Pea, Clarkes Beltony blue
                            Bean, Coco Bi-colour (climbing french) light tan one side, speckled on the other
                            Bean, Inca pea (climbing french)

Sincerely
                            Steve
                            Last edited by Workslave; 05-04-2020, 04:10 PM.
                            I live with autism spectrum disorder. Please be gentle. Sincerely Steve.

Comment

Bijou is one of my favourites - huge pods. I grow it every year - I'm sure you'd like it too.
                              A Chicken walks with small steps. Be more Chicken
                              https://gardenchicken.blogspot.com/
                              @realveggiechicken

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X