Try a seed circle, you'll like it

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try a seed circle, you'll like it

In spring 17 I had 2 tomato varieties in my possession, Outdoor Girl and Gardener's Delight. I've just added the new varieties received from the 2019 seed circle to my 'seed catalogue' and I now have 71 different varieties of Tomato !
    I also have 35 varieties of beans and 10 varieties of Chillies/Peppers and I'm not even in that circle. The flower circle seeds will soon be added to my collection.
    Some of the seeds received would not be on my shopping list but now they're in my possession I might just give them a go and like them. When it arrives I might even sow some of VCs Giant Weevil grass
    I've bought a lot of seeds over the last few years and self saved a few too but many many more have been added via seed circles, VSP and just the kind generosity of people on this forum. Thank you to all contributors with special thanks to Scarlet, NG and VC.

For any of you who haven't joined a circle before, give it a go in 2020, you'll probably enjoy it.

Would like to not sure 100% what the SP is?

My assumption is commit now for next season?

Provide x number of saved seeds for sharing / distribution? Apparently not F1, showing my ignorance not sure why?

Need an idiots guide on saving seeds😀

What about current spare seeds I have from packets, can these be swapped / given away now?

Apologies if I've typed a lot of mumbo jumbo
    Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
      Would like to not sure 100% what the SP is?

My assumption is commit now for next season?
      Not necessarily as long as you commit before the Seed Circles close - but, its good for everyone eNlse to know who's in and with what seeds.

Provide x number of saved seeds for sharing / distribution? Apparently not F1, showing my ignorance not sure why?
      YES

Need an idiots guide on saving seeds
      https://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

What about current spare seeds I have from packets, can these be swapped / given away now?
      I'll be running a swap for commercial seeds soon - with a Lucky dip selection in return!

Apologies if I've typed a lot of mumbo jumbo
      I like mumbo jumbo.

Comment

Cheers VC

Well I don't have any saved seeds from raised plants so will plan for that this season and wait for the commercial swap malarkey thread����
        Cheers

Danny

Comment

Raise some plants this year and save some seeds from them. Tomatoes and peas are easy so a good place to start. Flowers too.
          A couple of months before the seed malarkey, to give people chance to sow what they need and see what they have left over.

This is last year's thread https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...9-a_99385.html
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 14-01-2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Raise some plants this year and save some seeds from them. Tomatoes and peas are easy so a good place to start. Flowers too.
            A couple of months before the seed malarkey, to give people chance to sow what they need and see what they have left over.

This is last year's thread https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...9-a_99385.html
            But not F1's?
            Cheers

Danny

Comment

Don't worry just googled. Although has anyone experience growing a F1 saved seed?

Anyway nite now gonna shout at the football on TV.
              Last edited by broadway; 14-01-2020, 07:34 PM.
              Cheers

Danny

Comment

If you need some Tom seeds that aren't F1 to start you off on your seed saving adventures this year Broadway please send me a message.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  If you need some Tom seeds that aren't F1 to start you off on your seed saving adventures this year Broadway please send me a message.
                  That's very kind Scarlet
                  Cheers

Danny

Comment

Another question sorry!!

So is it obvious if your seeds are F1 i.e. is it plastered all over the packet?
                    Cheers

Danny

Comment

Most but not all will have some mention of F1, F2 or Hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdood View Post
                        For any of you who haven't joined a circle before, give it a go in 2020, you'll probably enjoy it.
                        MC Dood has it right... for a little time and effort (not forgetting an envelope and a few stamps.) I too am the now proud possessor of 47 new and different tomato seeds. The only drawback being Scarlet is asking what toms we are growing this year
                        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...-a_100727.html
                        How am I supposed to make up my mind? Either that or everyone in my street mysteriously has a tomato plant growing in their front garden. I am seriously considering gardening in the tree pits along the street as well!
                        V.P.
                        The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Originally posted by mcdood View Post
                          Most but not all will have some mention of F1, F2 or Hybrid.
                          If in doubt, its worth checking a few different suppliers' websites as some (notably the one with a T and an M in their initials) are misleading. There seems to be a view that, if we say its F1 we can charge more for less seeds.
                          If anyone finds conflicting information, do tell us, as we will "ask" them why they don't agree.

Comment

I am most definitely hoping to join a seed circle or 2 I get ridiculously excited at seeing my baby seeds growing and transplanting and sharing strange plants with friends. So this sounds amazing to me.

I only have seeds bought in Wilko sales and a few from Seed Parade, but am currently eagerly browsing Nickys Nursery and Real seeds to expand my choice while there is time. I certainly will have some to offer for a commercial swap. Tomatoes are my favourite, and I have finally persuaded my husband to try Alderman peas instead of dinky dwarfs x
                            Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
                            and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              If in doubt, its worth checking a few different suppliers' websites as some (notably the one with a T and an M in their initials) are misleading. There seems to be a view that, if we say its F1 we can charge more for less seeds.
                              If anyone finds conflicting information, do tell us, as we will "ask" them why they don't agree.
                              Here's an old thread with questions about Sweet Aperitif, Red Alert, Rosella and Piccolo.
                              https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ato_89038.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X