Interest from a beginner?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest from a beginner?

Could I save and join a seed swap, even if my seeds come from a plant that was in a grow-your-own supermarket kit? Mine are either cayanne or birdseye I think, and I've never saved seeds before

The short answer is NO - because you don't know what the chillies are or whether they are F1 seeds - this means that saved seeds will not grow the same plants as the parent plant.

Any seeds that are swapped should be of named varieties as nobody wants to grow an unknown seed when there are plenty of named varieties available.

The best advice I can give you is to grow a known variety next year and save seeds from those. There's lots of advice about how to save seeds and how to avoid cross pollination.

You also need to meet the Vine's Seed swap rules - basically, that you have been a member for 3 months and have made at least 50 posts.
    Have a read of https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...nce_76437.html
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...nce_76437.html

Comment

Originally posted by ChilliFlower View Post
      Could I save and join a seed swap, even if my seeds come from a plant that was in a grow-your-own supermarket kit? Mine are either cayanne or birdseye I think, and I've never saved seeds before
      There's no harm in saving seed for yourself to grow next year?
      You can grow some very interesting chilli's
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Chilliflower, I’m new to growing chillies and this year bought plants of Apache and Hungarian Hot Wax. Both have done well and I’m going to save seed but they have likely crossed as I didn’t bag the flowers, so it’s anyone’s guess what the offspring will be like...will be interesting to see.
        All at once I hear your voice
        And time just slips away
        Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Originally posted by ChilliFlower View Post
          I’ve sent you a PM - I’m happy to send you a few different chilli seeds to try out if you like. Always happy to get a new chilli addict off to a good start. PM me your address and I’ll send some when I have sorted my seeds out.

Comment

It's too late to join the seed circles as half of the seeds are already in but if you would like to join our new one which I will start in the new year you would be very welcome.
            Have a read of this years : https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...9-a_98655.html
            Last edited by Scarlet; 03-11-2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I've saved my own cayenne pepper seeds for about 10 years or more with consistent results - till this year when they are nowhere near as hot as usual. I just double up on the quantity I use in the kitchen but will need to buy some fresh seed for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Riga View Post
                I've saved my own cayenne pepper seeds for about 10 years or more with consistent results - till this year when they are nowhere near as hot as usual. I just double up on the quantity I use in the kitchen but will need to buy some fresh seed for next year.
                Might it have been weather-related?
                Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X