Peony seeds wanted

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farendwoman Thank you!!!

Scarlet does a happy dance and pots up a TREE PEONY!!! Fingers crossed everyone

Comment

my first one is in bloom,is it any use?
      Attached Files

Comment

I’m putting some pictures of my Peonies on the Flower of the day thread as they flower. Let me know if you would like me to try and save seeds from them.
        Last edited by roitelet; 10-06-2019, 12:47 PM.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Well my 80 seeds for 2.99 from China just arrived - how they make a profit on these deals beats me.

it remains now to find out if I can get any of them to germinate :-)

Comment

Having looked at the seeds they seem a reasonable size, but obviously very hard and dry. So I've put them to soak and will do this for the next few days. Then it will be in to some vermiculite in zip-lock bags etc - wait 18 months, and hopefully Bob's your mother's brother.

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
              I’m putting some pictures of my Peonies on the Flower of the day thread as they flower. Let me know if you would like me to try and save seeds from them.
              m
              The one I've seen so far is a beauty!! So yes please Roitelet

Comment

Originally posted by SelkirkAlex View Post
                my first one is in bloom,is it any use?
                Yes please! If you can bear to keep the seed head it on the plant long enough to dry out.

Comment

anyone have advice on saving the seed head? I would have just waited until the petals dropped then cut the head off and put it in a paper bag to dry never doe it before

Comment

Originally posted by SelkirkAlex View Post
                    anyone have advice on saving the seed head? I would have just waited until the petals dropped then cut the head off and put it in a paper bag to dry never doe it before
                    Leave it on the plant until the seed case starts to split would be my thought - never tried it myself though, so may be wrong.

Comment

I've never saved peony seed before either!!
                      I would keep it in the plant for as long as possible letting it dry naturally.
                      Thank you SelkirkAlex!

Good practice for joining in one of our seed circles ?

Comment

I've seen the wild peony seed heads that are saved for conservation. They're left on the plant and each head splits into 3, like a chicken's foot. Each toe cracks open to reveal a row of seeds inside. These seeds were black and red and I was told that one colour was fertile, the other not. Unfortunately, I don't remember which.

Click image for larger version

Name:	peony.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	2384075
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 12-06-2019, 10:31 PM. Reason: adding photo

Comment

Judging by the ones I had before which grew, the black ones are the fertile ones.

BTW the seeds which I put to soak a few days ago have all sunk, so I think that's a good first sign.

Comment

My reds have finished flowering. I think it's the same as you have already so am I ok to dead head?

Comment

Yes! Safe to dead head thanks anyway Mitzi.

Comment

Well my peonies are a cope out this year - typical. All I can offer is this chap - any good?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0368 (2).jpg
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	2384225Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0370 (2).jpg
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	2384226
                                Edibles (All In) Seed Saving Circle 2020
                                Pea + Bean Seed Saving Circle 2020
                                Flower Seed Saving Circle 2020