Nine Star Perennial Broccoli

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nine Star Perennial Broccoli

Has anyone got some seeds/cuttings of this please? I can offer cuttings of Bocking 14 comfrey/horseradish/Daubenton kale/ Daubenton Panaché kale in return.

Thanks.

Hi Paulie, I have some seeds I saved last year that I could send you. A Panache cutting would be great!!

My plants are in this thread https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1653246

Norfolk Grey has proved they're viable!! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1653312

Comment

Can I ask if this perennial tastes like ordinary broccoli??? Is it tough???
      I like the idea of a perennial.

Comment

Its more like cauliflower to taste - quite mild. See my thread for pictures of the one I ate yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Hi Paulie, I have some seeds I saved last year that I could send you. A Panache cutting would be great!!

My plants are in this thread https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1653246

Norfolk Grey has proved they're viable!! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1653312
          Great stuff, thank you very much! I'll message you.

Comment

If anyone else would like some seeds, I'm always happy to swap for something surprising!!

EDIT - All seeds taken - sorry.
            Last edited by veggiechicken; 29-06-2019, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Ms

Hi, interesting topic. I am trying to grow more perennials this year to save myself a lot of hassle. I was looking at the 9 star broccoli too but I really dislike cauliflower though I love broccoli. What do the kale taste like? I have some perennial seeds that I can swap you for. Trying my hand at seakale, salad burnet etc. No luck with good king henry thus far. Chard was a success last year so I will continue with that this year. Any other suggestions? Apparently I am meant to post 50 times before i can do any swaps so it might be too late for me this year. It is an almost full time job to dig and plant half an acre of vegetables, not to mention the mowing.

Comment

Hi and welcome!
                You could try perennial Babington leeks and Welsh onions.
                I may have some more 9 Star cauli/broccoli seeds available later this year s, become an active member of the forum, post 50 times, wait 3 months, and you can join the seed swaps and circles.

Comment

Yes thanks. I am growing welsh onions (appropriately since I live in wales). I have tried looking for Babington's leeks but it has proved a little tricky thus far. And even others that I have spoken to get really confused when I ask them about it. One said that it was the same thing.
                  My problem is that I am looking for unusual things to plant. I have acquired wasabi, dittander etc. too. Also strange chinese herbs and plants that do better at 1100 feet above sea level.
                  Last year, we had a short and fairly short summer. Out of my 30 tomato plants, most were still green at the end. This year has proved even trickier. I am on my third plantings of most veg. The first lot died as it was about 17 deg during the day and then ice overnight for a whole week in late april. The second lot languished due to lack of sunshine and warmth. The 2 month old courgette seedlings were exactly the same size as when i planted them out 6 weeks ago.
                  I have had to resort growing another batch in the conservatory 2 weeks ago which are now about 5x as big to be transplanted this week.

Comment

Sorry about the rant but a lot of hard work and wasted seeds this year. I only started last year and it was late due to the weather and also because it took a while to dig nearly half an acre and build and paint raised beds. Was hoping to do better this year but it appears to be a lot worse this year.

Comment

It is probably not the right forum for this but I am also looking at growing mushrooms. Has anybody had any experience with those?

Comment

I did manage to grow a few pumpkins and squashes last year but no success with melons, even the ultra expensive seed ones. This year is even worse as the pumpkin and squash seeds are an inch high and they were that size when I planted them out 6 weeks ago. I am now planting my tomatoes in troughs in the conservatory so that I can move them in and outdoors when the weather changes.

Comment

I am not doing this commercially but for fun. ( strange sense of fun and I have spent quite a bit of money. I have had to purchase about 150 bags of 70l to 125l compost) I used to turn up at work with buckets of vegetables and herbs for colleagues. The weather is so unpredictable that I cannot help but sympathise with those who try to make a living out of it.
                          I have to confess that this is only the second year but this weather is very offputting. I am converting about half of the beds into herbs and perennials and 1 or 2 into root vegetables so that I can have more to harvest in winter. It will be good to find a forum where I can get some advice.

Comment

I have also planted a few fruit trees, about 5 pears and 5 apples, 2 persimmons, a pawpaw, chinese dates, asian pears, walnuts etc. My 18 month old apricot tree did have 15 apricots this year. That was the only success thus far but not a single blossom on the peach... Need a swearing emoticon....

Comment

Originally posted by Amateurgardener View Post
                              Yes thanks. I am growing welsh onions (appropriately since I live in wales). I have tried looking for Babington's leeks but it has proved a little tricky thus far. And even others that I have spoken to get really confused when I ask them about it. One said that it was the same thing.
                              My problem is that I am looking for unusual things to plant. I have acquired wasabi, dittander etc. too. Also strange chinese herbs and plants that do better at 1100 feet above sea level.
                              Last year, we had a short and fairly short summer. Out of my 30 tomato plants, most were still green at the end. This year has proved even trickier. I am on my third plantings of most veg. The first lot died as it was about 17 deg during the day and then ice overnight for a whole week in late april. The second lot languished due to lack of sunshine and warmth. The 2 month old courgette seedlings were exactly the same size as when i planted them out 6 weeks ago.
                              I have had to resort growing another batch in the conservatory 2 weeks ago which are now about 5x as big to be transplanted this week.

Unusual things eh? Don't know about that, I only grow the usual stuff (5 or 6 species of perennial leeks, walking onions, everlasting onions, welsh onions, 2 species perennial kale, 9 star broccoli, perennial cabbage,3 types of chives, Sorrel, tuberous nasturtiums, oca, perennial rocket, skirret, earth chestnuts and other perennial root veg - pretty standard fare really)

You might want to start up your own thread in https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...duce-yourself/ to tell everyone about yourself, where you grow and what you grow.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X