This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Scarlet I will join again this year.
    Dont know what I will save just yet but will let you know later.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I'm in but I haven't worked out what I'm growing yet this year. As last year, many will be from the previous year's swap, then I'll see what space I can use and what that gives me (that's not already taken).

Comment

Originally posted by mysteryduck View Post
        Hi there! I’m interested in joining, if you guys will have me. Norfolk Grey advised I post here as I want to ask about cross pollination... my garden is small so it might be difficult to isolate too many plants. He seemed to think that cross pollination wouldn’t be a problem though?

I started growing last year, so I’m still a relative beginner. But assuming everything survives, this year I have...

F1s:
        Mountain pride,
        Totem,
        Ildi

Not F1s?:
        Golden sunrise,
        Alicante,
        Koralik,
        Black Opal,
        Amateur,
        Gardeners delight

I have seed for but haven’t sewn:
        Tumbling Tom red,
        Yellow delight

And I ordered yesterday (after reading the thread that made me realise I haven’t sewn many varieties after all):
        Gold rush currant,
        Mexico midget,
        Matt’s wild cherry
        Just a heads up - NGs a she

Ok - saving tomatoes is easy. Potato leaf and currant tomatoes will cross. I think you will be ok to save some of the others withoutbagging any flowers. Smaller cherry tomatoes are often easier as they usually have more fruit on the plant and contain lots of seed. Ask any question you want, even if you think it's silly - there will always be someone who knows the answer

Out of those - black opal, Mexico midget would be good ones to save.

I was going to say Koralik - but on [email protected] I've spotted that it maybe an F1....Does anyone know for sure? Is it one of those varieties that a seed supplier has added F1 again!! Grrrr...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          I was going to say Koralik - but on [email protected] I've spotted that it maybe an F1....Does anyone know for sure? Is it one of those varieties that a seed supplier has added F1 again!! Grrrr...
          Only DT Browns and one other place selling it as F1, everywhere else it's a Polish heirloom.

Comment

Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
            Only DT Browns and one other place selling it as F1, everywhere else it's a Polish heirloom.
            I think it's an heirloom too. I'm sure they add it to make you buy again next year!!
            Last edited by Scarlet; 04-03-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I think it's an heirloom too. I'm sure they add it to make you buy again next year!!
              Koralik Red Cherry is not F1. I've grown it from my own saved seed and it comes true (for me anyway).

Anyway, how do we know? Other than when its obvious (yellow -> red fruit, Regular -> Potato Leaf, etc.) I often wonder how many "heritage" or "open pollinated" varieties are true to the original. I think I read last year that one of the reasons that the RHS had taken away the AGM for Gardener's Delight was that there was too much variation.

I tend not to grow F1's just because they're expensive with little or no benefit.

Comment

OK, I've looked through my seeds and decided what I'm growing.

Assuming all goes will I'll put Summer Cider and Black Krim into the pot.

Comment

If all goes to plan I will be saving Black Mauri and Demidov.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Just a heads up - NGs a she
                    Oh my! So sorry about that, I didn’t think to check her profile

Ok - saving tomatoes is easy. Potato leaf and currant tomatoes will cross. I think you will be ok to save some of the others withoutbagging any flowers.
                    Thanks for the tip! Are currant tomatoes the same as cherry? Not sure which are potato leaf, but can google that one. Was imagining I’d have to build isolation booths but bagging a branch seems much easier!

Smaller cherry tomatoes are often easier as they usually have more fruit on the plant and contain lots of seed. Ask any question you want, even if you think it's silly - there will always be someone who knows the answer

Out of those - black opal, Mexico midget would be good ones to save.
                    You think these ones won’t cross pollinate?

Yea, I’ve seen Ildi listed as both heritage and F1 too... it’s all very confusing!
                    Last edited by mysteryduck; 05-03-2019, 10:30 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Not done a seed circle in a long time but keen to (and have time to) get involved in this one.

I'm growing an interesting selection of open pollinated toms this year. Will see what comes up, what tastes/looks good and decide in Sept/Oct. When I'm home later I'll do a list of everything I'm growing....
                      The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                      William M. Davies

Comment

Originally posted by Paulieb View Post
                        Not done a seed circle in a long time but keen to (and have time to) get involved in this one.

I'm growing an interesting selection of open pollinated toms this year. Will see what comes up, what tastes/looks good and decide in Sept/Oct. When I'm home later I'll do a list of everything I'm growing....
                        Mazarini, Mr Brown, Blue Bayou, Pierces Pride, Blue Ambrosia, Jersey Devil, and a range of vernissage tomatoes (green, brown, pink and yellow), Cassadys Folly, Black and Brown Bear.

Green Envy is my favourite but think thats an F1!
                        The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                        William M. Davies

Comment

Lovely to have you on board Paulie

Comment

Originally posted by mysteryduck View Post
                            Thanks for the tip! Are currant tomatoes the same as cherry? Not sure which are potato leaf, but can google that one. Was imagining I’d have to build isolation booths but bagging a branch seems much easier!

You think these ones won’t cross pollinate
                            You don't have to make isolation booths -Cherry tomato and currant tomatoes are different. I don't think you have any potato leaf toms.
                            Last edited by Scarlet; 07-03-2019, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Hi Scarlett.
                              Im going to save Blaby Special ( purely because i like the story behind it ) , so mark me down for that please.

Comment

Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
                                Thinking of saving some of my more interesting varieties like Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, Cosmonaut Volkov, Olena Ukrainian, Dwarf Tasmanian Chocolate and Dwarf Rosella Purple. Am I better off sending them into the VSP if I don't want lots of seed in return (due to space constraints, not lack of interest!)?
                                Count me in too please Scarlet.
                                Mine will only be some from the ones that you sent me in 2018 Seed circle. Is this ok???
                                I am particularly interested in getting some Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, so make sure you put that one in please tommytoes!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X