Mould

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mould

Hi all, I'm new to this gardening lark, and have started off with basil and parsley in containers inside on my window sill, recently I've noticed the soil in the parsley pot getting what looks like a layer of mould or fungus. As of yet it doesnt seem to be affecting the plants, but now it seems to be happening with the basil pots too. I'm gathering it's because of damp and stagnant air, but is it harmful to the plants? Will i need to repot them? Help please.

Hello Lola and welcome to the Vine. I think you're right about the mould being due to damp and stagnant conditions. I think your parsley and basil is well over watered. There might not be too much harm done.
    The easiest solution would be just to scrape the mould off the surface and top up with fresh compost and lay off the watering.
    If the plants are really waterlogged, you could remove them from their pots, remove as much of the wet compost as possible, and repot into drier compost.
    Good luck. What else are you growing ?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Lola

Comment

Hi Lola and welcome. When you get a sort of green mould growing on pots it's a sure sign you've been over generous with the water. You can rescue it though. Newcomers are often obsessive about keeping things watered but you can overdo it. I find it useful to stick my little finger in the soil before watering. If I can't feel any dampness it needs a drink. Best of luck!

Flum
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

totally agree with above, i get a bit worried they will dry out, but understand that herbs like dry conditions anyway, have been guilty of overwatering myself resulting in the same! mut say tho, whenever i have overwatered it has not affected the plants, but removing the top layer and replacing makes perfect sense, good luck1

Comment

Hi Lola...

I have a similar problem too... i have leeks started off in small peat pots and i have an orange mould/fugas which has covered them i have left them too dry out but it has not made any differance. The leeks seem ok though so fingers crossed... hopefully they will be ok

Alisha

Comment

Thanks for the help and welcome from everyone. I'll give the whole removing the top layer a try, and in the meantime the herbs are "on the wagon" so to speak.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X