What is this?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

I am about to clear a vacant plot at my allotments and found the previous tenant sowed some seeds in rows of this which grows to about 2ft, can anyobne identifit it please?
    Attached Files

Well, looks like there's bindweed climbing up around it. I don't know what the flower is though.

Comment

The flower buds look similar to borage in bud, but the flowers are different to borage... Can't find anything by google's image searcher either.

Any chance of a photo of the leaves of the flowering plant, not the bind weed wrapped around it?
      Last edited by chris; 19-07-2011, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Good old pipkins Looks lovely mind.

Comment

Ta Chris,the bees love it
          http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

I love phacelia. I bought some to grow as green manure but ended up just sowing it for the flowers - and the bees obviously. It's growing out of the bottom of the compost bin at the mo.
            Last edited by Shadylane; 19-07-2011, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Like that, very pretty and useful too.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I believe Two Sheds grows it as a green manure. Localy, farmers include it with sunflowers and a few other bits and bobs in field margins. Good for wildlife (and pheasants).
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I grow it just for the bees. They go mad for it.

If you cut the flowers off before each one goes to seed, they last aeons.

Comment

Phacelia. Great for bees, self-seeds with huge enthusiasm, good green manure.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      I believe Two Sheds grows it as a green manure
                      Indeedy
                      This year's lot has flowered, seeded & now the 2nd generation is on the way: 2" tall at present

I let it self-seed now: the seed heads are really sharp & prickly, I hate trying to harvest them
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thank you all for the information, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by john9159 View Post
                          I am about to clear a vacant plot at my allotments and found the previous tenant sowed some seeds in rows of this which grows to about 2ft, can anyobne identifit it please?
                          Yes - its is called Phacelia. It is an annual. This plant is used as a green manure and usually dug in before flowering. If you let it flower it attracts a lot of bees - which is a good thing for some. It self seeds prolifically. I like it, but it can become a nusiance if you don't keep it under control.

Comment

Originally posted by Quail Lady View Post
                            it can become a nusiance if you don't keep it under control.
                            It's really shallow rooted (so easy to weed out), and frost kills it, so it's not so bad
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-09-2011, 03:24 PM.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X