Some questions about Parsley

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about Parsley

I have bought some Parsley seeds, one variety (Parsley Envy)asks to grow as an annuel, the other parsley is described as a hardy perennial.

I had grown Parsley envy last year, and its still doing well this year, even though its been probably more than a year, however it was small last year, and I have been stoping it from flowering, before it flowers.

I thought Parsley was grown as a biennial, are some varities of parsley perennial or annuel?

Are there ways to prolong the life of parsley? Thus it seems silly to grow it as an annuel if it can be grown as a biennial.

I would love to know the name of your perennial parsley!! Parsley is a biennial normally, in that in it's first year it produces the leaves that we use and in it's second year it tries very hard to produce seed. Therefore it is better sown every year unless you particularly want to save your own seed.

Comment

Unwins, Champion Moss Curled. Have they made a mistake or something?

Comment

I've just been on the Unwins website, and nowhere does it say that Champion Moss Curled is perennial. Are you sure you read the packet right??

Comment

um...googling reveals it's an annual, but, it will come back after winter, and you can pick it before it flowers...

Comment

It's a biennial, that's why it comes back after winter. We tend to grow it as an annual though
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Blair View Post
              it seems silly to grow it as an annuel if it can be grown as a biennial.
              Annuals grow & make seed in one year.
              Biennials grow in the first year, make seed in the 2nd year - you don't get very much more cropping time from a biennial because it's energy in the 2nd year goes almost straight into flowering & seeding.

If you let your parsley self-seed, you'll have it forever

Comment

I'd always thought that parsley was always biennial, but when I was looking for seed this year I found some places that are say some varieties of Parsley are perennial. Here's one There are these varieties listed.
                > Parsley Champion Moss Curled Perennial
                Petroselinum crispum

> Parsley, Hamburg-Rooted Perennial
                Petroselinum crispum var. tuberosum Perennial

> Parsley Plain Leaved or French Perennial
                Petroselinum hortense

>Parsley Bravour Perennial
                Petroselinum crispum
                Mistakes take a life of their own too, when people just copy from one site into their own and search engines pick it up. I think this site might be an example, because it says:

Though parsley is technically a perennial, it usually goes to seed in its second year and so is grown as an annual.
                I'm not entirely sure how a plant can 'technically' be anything, but that's by the by.

Does anybody know what actually happens to our 'normal' parsley after two years? Does it die and disappear once it's flowered and set seed, or does it do what many of our Evening Primroses have done (they're also meant to be biennial), and develop big roots that throw up growth every year?

Comment

hmmm. not sure...I grew falt leaf parsley last year, the roots were just like carrots. should have left them in to see what they did. i will this year then

Comment

Originally posted by endymion View Post
                    Does anybody know what actually happens to our 'normal' parsley after two years?
                    Yes. I use a lot of parsley and never have enough. One year it was very good, and it seeded itself but after that ... nothing. It just died after it seeded, and never came back.

Last year's plants are now bolting, and I'll let them throw their seed around as they see fit. I'll also try to bag some if I remember, so I can sow it where I want it

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Yes. I use a lot of parsley and never have enough. One year it was very good, and it seeded itself but after that ... nothing. It just died after it seeded, and never came back.
                      That's what I thought happened.

I grow both the moss curled and flat leaved - I've always sown fresh every year though, and pull up the old stuff when the new plants are big enough to use, so I've never left them long enough to seed. It's too late for me to experiment this year, because the old plants are long gone.

Comment

I have the perfect way to grow parsley. First sow some carefully outside, cover gently with earth, water, and go back indoors.

A week later go back and have a look, to see you've left the packet with hundreds of seeds left in it outside, and it's got soaking wet in rain.
                        Open packet to find hundreds of seeds have sprouted. Sow these seeds, presto, instant parsely patch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X