Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is box a safe hedge to have with children and dogs?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is box a safe hedge to have with children and dogs?

Hi there, I was going to do a box (boxus) hedge around my small herb garden but I have read it is very poisonous to horses, goats.... is it safe to have in a garden with children, a cat and a dog?? Or is it just if it is consumed in copious amounts?

thank you

We have box in out garden and the cats steered well clear of it. Box can stink so the chances of anybody eating any of it, let alone copious amounts, would be odd. And the branches tend to be very hard to impossible to chew through unless they're very small/young shoots.

I've never heard of anybody being affected by being poisoned by box, yew for sure and one or two other things but the box should be safe.
    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by sherpa View Post
      Hi there, I was going to do a box (boxus) hedge around my small herb garden but I have read it is very poisonous to horses, goats.... is it safe to have in a garden with children, a cat and a dog?? Or is it just if it is consumed in copious amounts?

thank you
      Absolutely we have dogs and children with no issues and they are always in the knot garden. Next door's cats parade in there too when dogs aren't.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Ask Monty Don - he's got loads of the stuff

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X