Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perhaps The Most Stupid Question I Asked On Here?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps The Most Stupid Question I Asked On Here?

Not great with herbs so the past year or so I've been getting herbs from the supermarket and potting on myself.

Ok here goes, when I get these from the supermarket (basil, parslay, etc) are these grown from one herb seed or many?
    Last edited by broadway; 07-02-2011, 04:50 PM.
    Cheers

Danny

Many!

(If that helps?)

Dave
    Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Usually, if you tip the pot out when you've used most of the plant, you will find that there is more than one in the pot. Sometimes there are dozens.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

every plant within the pot will have been propogated from a single seed.

Comment

Hi
          I have always had better luck with herb from seed, especially the ones you mentioned, as the supermarket ones are forced and weak as a result. However I bought a Greek Basil on Nicos recommendation last year from Sainburys which cropped its head off for about 6 months. Some feed and water when it needed and it was as happy as a pig in muck!

Dave
          Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks folks,

Well I sowed chive coriander basil and parsley Tuesday and the basil has germinated already!
            Cheers

Danny

Comment

great question

Originally posted by broadway View Post
              Not great with herbs so the past year or so I've been getting herbs from the supermarket and potting on myself.

Ok here goes, when I get these from the supermarket (basil, parslay, etc) are these grown from one herb seed or many?
              Love the title Danny and the answer well the one not given is the question may only be classed as stupid only if its never asked

mind you I can give some stupid answers at times

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
                Thanks folks,

Well I sowed chive coriander basil and parsley Tuesday and the basil has germinated already!
                Well, of the seeds you sowed chives are perennial. Very hardy. Once you plant them out it would have to be a very bad winter (considerably worse than we have had so far) to kill them off. Our plants are growing well, despite.

Coriander and basil are annuals. Perhaps a tad early to grow basil - no tomatoes to go with it. Personally, I detest coriander - horrid. Yeuk.

Parsley is a biennial. You get a good crop this year, and next year. You then need to sow more seed so that you have a good succession.

valmarg
                Last edited by valmarg; 22-02-2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X