Peppermint

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peppermint

Swapped some seeds in exchange for some peppermint roots which i received this morning

I know mint can be quite boisterous so is it worth planting them in containers as opposed to the ground to keep them under control? also will they be alright outdoors now or would i need to keep them inside till it warms up?

Much appreciated as always, Amy

I would plant in containers unless you want it to take over! It'll be fine outside, perhaps just put it somewhere sheltered for a while.
    MMMMmmm I love mint, mines just starting to sprout up now.

PS it also grow really well from cuttings if you want more plants later on.
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Wonderful thanks Lainey!
      Ill pot it up this afternoon

its my first time growing it and i read it can be quite boisterous so ill put in in pots for the time being then maybe look at it later on once everything else is in the grow see what kind of space i have left

Much appreciated!

Comment

Hey Amy,

I'd definitely put it in pots. It goes mad.

Its my favourite herb though. I love the smell when rain falls on it.
        Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Jono View Post
          Hey Amy,

I'd definitely put it in pots. It goes mad.

Its my favourite herb though. I love the smell when rain falls on it.
          I totally agree, when strimming my lawn edges, I make a point of trimming the mint. It's almost intoxicating.

Comment

You can still plant it up in the garden, you just need to contain root growth.

Just use a large plastic plant pot, bucket or whatever, that has drainage holes. Put the pot in hole in the ground, fill with soil/compost and plant the mint into the pot. Conceal the pot with more soil/mulch and water well. The ideal for your plant, is to replant/replace the compost each spring, and divide if need be.

I have a Butler's sink that I want to use to make up a mint collection, but also build it up from the centre, with decreasing size pots (not unlike how I grow some strawberries). The sink is in postion at the lottie, but at the moment I have a bucket of pond iris in it (division from frog pond), and it may end up as a small water plant pond?

But you could create a lovely mint collection, in the same way as planting up a strawberry pot or herb pot. Just that it would have every variety of mint, yum yum, Pims anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Dottie View Post
              But you could create a lovely mint collection, in the same way as planting up a strawberry pot or herb pot. Just that it would have every variety of mint, yum yum, Pims anyone?
              Or some elderflower cordial. I always drop some mint in that, mmmm.

The herbs will look great in the butler sink.
              Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Definitely contain the roots! The previous owners of our house had planted mint stright out and I practically had to dig to Austrailia to try and get all of the roots! Love the chocolate mint I have growing in tubs now. Makes a lovely tea

Comment

My outlaws have one corner of their garden devoted to mint and manage to contain it. It is always much healthier than my container grown mint.
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I have just spend a good while digging up mint shoots from a mint plant I didn't keep in a pot last year - you would need to experience it to realise how far these roots can go!! Have potted some up today - 14 pots, and 2 tubs and still plenty root that went into the green bin!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X