Biggest bay tree

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest bay tree

I was looking at this forum & suddenly wondered what size bay trees people had ?

Mine is massive, I guess around 20 feet high now, I had a pot grown one when I moved here nearly 20 years ago, and I just popped it in the ground, I wondered if anyone else had such a giant ?

If I hadn't kept pruning it for culinary use and for Christmas wreaths I reckon mine might have been that big by now. At the moment it's about 6-7ft and globular in shape. Mine came here from my old garden in a pot and then I decided we were going to stay here so it might as well go in the ground. It never looked back. I think people treat bay trees a bit as though they are going to fold up and die in the first breeze but I think if they have a good root system they seem to be very hardy.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have not got one, although I would like one. My daughter has one though do cuttings work does anyone know?
      Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

I had on in a pot which died.
        My other one is 2ft high and in the ground but is severely nipped back every winter even though it's south facing and 6 ft from the wall....i'm putting it down to the soil being too soggy.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Mines in a large long tom pot, it's over 25 years old, is 4ft tall and Christmas tree shaped. It started life as a cutting of a friend tree and lived on my kitchen windowsill until it was big enough to go in a bigger pot. So yes...you can take a cutting of a bay tree.

Comment

What do you bay tree owners do to protect over the winter, I have one in a pot it is 5ft tall ans cone shaped. Each winter, have it 3 years, i have brought it indoors, but it is too warm and it puts out lots of leggy new growth before the weather is up to going back outside - hench the question.
            Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
            -- Alfred E. Neumann
            http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Originally posted by stella View Post
              I have not got one, although I would like one. My daughter has one though do cuttings work does anyone know?

Air layerring works well, I've also had sucess with suckers or if you want extreme gardening when you change the compost in a potted one hack it up to give several & repot. I did this with my Mum's this year and got 8-10 new plants

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                What do you bay tree owners do to protect over the winter, I have one in a pot it is 5ft tall ans cone shaped. Each winter, have it 3 years, i have brought it indoors, but it is too warm and it puts out lots of leggy new growth before the weather is up to going back outside - hench the question.
                Mine lives outside, but for potted ones, I'd tend to but in a sheltered spot or pop a fleece bag over it if it is a bit exposed

Comment

I've got two from our wedding, which are planted at the mother in laws house.. must go get them! They're about 5' high at the moment, and all over the place.. I think some harsh pruning is going to be required!

Comment

I don't protect mine - it's big enough to protect me!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                      What do you bay tree owners do to protect over the winter, I have one in a pot it is 5ft tall and cone shaped. Each winter, have it 3 years, i have brought it indoors, but it is too warm and it puts out lots of leggy new growth before the weather is up to going back outside - hench the question.
                      We had a really bad winter last year as did most people and my Bay was fine. I've never cover it up, all I do is move it to a more sheltered place in the garden just for a bit of protection. But if your in doubt if you can get your hands on some bubble wrap. Wrap some round the plant and it's pot.

Comment

I like fleece bags, I use them on the Christmas trees when they go out after Christmas to reduce the shock and on other tenders, much neater than bubble wrap for me and rain can get through.

Don't foget the roots though, watered roots are better than dry soil in cold weather.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X