Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried herbs for 1st time ever this year, but what to do over winter?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry Crioila, but I think I was having a bad day. Bit down in the dumps so to speak

valmarg

Comment

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that ...
      Hope equilibrium is now restored
      Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
      www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

Originally posted by Croila View Post
        Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that ...
        Hope equilibrium is now restored
        Most definitely. We all have our 'ups and downs'

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
          parsley. ...Pack very loosely into tubs, Freeze ... to add to stock, etc
          I'm still waiting for a parsley glut this year. My self-seeders haven't come up (don't know why, I sprinkled 1000s of seeds around). The ones I sowed under glass are still only 4" high

It's a shame, because parsley is superb guinea pig food, being fairly high in Vit C
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-10-2010, 07:42 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Two_Sheds, as I said earlier, we have good days and bad days.

With regard to parsley we have had pretty similar. Some years have been fantastic, and some have been a total washout. This year has been fantastic, and we are awash with curly/flat leaved parsley.

valmarg

Comment

P.S. Twosheds, it's a pity you don't live nearer. I could certainly let you have a good supply.

valmarg

Comment

i have a raised bed with all my herbs in it. i have noticed over he last week that my corriander which has grown steadily and given me plenty to cook with over the last few weeks has suddenly started growing more rapidly but the leaves are in miniture... im guessing that its about to seed but im not sure...what would you suggest i do, just leave it or cut it back?

i dont mind of it grows like crazy next year as i use loads of corriander in curries or can i collect the seeds?

also my parsley is growing great guns should i chop it back or will it slow down over winter
                May the road rise to meet you,
                May the wind be always at your back,
                May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
                Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

According to my herb book corriander is an annual, so you won't get any plants next year, unless you sow seed in Spring.

Is your corriander flowering? If it's not it can't set seed.

Whilst I love seed and ground corriander, I absolutely detest the fresh leaf. It smells of mouldy cardboard. Rant over.

Corriander is notorious for running to seed early, and you can save the seed, either for cooking or sowing next year.

You don't need to buy packets of seeds, you can use the seeds in your storecupboard.

valmarg

Comment

on closer inspection i think it is just a late attempt at a final flurry of growth as it is just leaves but smaller..

i think i will just harvest what is left of it and use it in a curry and dig up the stems anr roots and compost them the sow some new seeds in the spring
                    May the road rise to meet you,
                    May the wind be always at your back,
                    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                    The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
                    Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

far too late for coriander to set seed. I love coriander and cook lots of curry, so grow quite a few of them. leave one a year to go to seed and leave the plant in the ground until it dries up, then collect the seed. I use these seeds to plant more coriander, as well as in curries/ground

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                        Oregano and basil will not stand the winter outside. Rosemary is hardy, and mint is as tough as old boots. Parsley is fairly hardy too. What size pots are they in?
                        Oregano like mint will die down over winter & return next year. Oregano might suffer in pots but I have a raise tiered bed & never lost it

Comment

Originally posted by Mell View Post
                          Oregano like mint will die down over winter & return next year. Oregano might suffer in pots but I have a raise tiered bed & never lost it
                          Hmmm, I've got some oregano in the ground which I'm fully expecting to die, but there's a chance it'll grow back, then, is that right?

Comment

Hmmm, I've got some oregano in the ground which I'm fully expecting to die, but there's a chance it'll grow back, then, is that right?
                            I'd say more than I chance I've not had to replace mine in 37 years ! I'll be gobsmacked if you lose it

Comment

Originally posted by Mell View Post
                              I'd say more than I chance I've not had to replace mine in 37 years ! I'll be gobsmacked if you lose it
                              37 years?! wow, that's impressive! I don't expect to be in this house for another 37 years, but then again, never say never

Comment

37 years?! wow, that's impressive! I don't expect to be in this house for another 37 years, but then again, never say never
                                20 years here, 7years previously, 10 years before that the herbs were split & came with me, bat is about 25-30 ft tall now !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X