Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent , thank you once again

Comment

Carol, I have sent you a pm (btw, you are a star!)

Comment

Done and in the post. If it has survived our winter then I am sure it will survive the Royal Mail.

Comment

Can anyone please advise me how best to treat my new choc mint cuttings courtesy of Carol (Thanks Carol, please see pm). I have researched online & have now confused myself!. Do I need to put them in water to root? or just pop them in compost as in two sheds post/diagram above?.
          I also read about hormone powder (but don't have any) so i'm just looking for the best but easiest method. The internet is great but too much info confuses me sometimes!Lol! .
          I think i'm turning this in to rocket science when its probably just a case of bunging it in the compost! ha! I just want to get it right as I have some plain mint cuttings & other herbs (rosemary & chive etc) coming too.
          Thanks in advance.
          Furny
          Last edited by Furny; 13-04-2011, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I never use hormone powder (neither does Flummery and she's a sage)

Cut it below a leaf node and pop it in water for a while. When it shows a goodly amount of white roots, pot it up
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Two Sheds. They already have quite a lot of white side roots (you know what i mean) but I think I'll still obviously need to pop them in to root from the bottom then.
              I really appreciate your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Furny View Post
                They already have quite a lot of white side roots
                Oh, that's fine. Just lay the cutting on its side in a small pot of compost (not too deep, just covered)

Comment

ooops, I popped them in a glass of water last night as I worried about them drying out.
                  I'll go rescue them soon then I do as you say. Do I lightly cover the whole cutting including the leaves (top of the cutting)??
                  Thanks so much

Comment

Yes cover the whole cutting. It won't matter if you do cover the leaves, they'll push themselves back through
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-04-2011, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks again Two Sheds. We can rely on you to come to the rescue!!

Comment

Ha oops the note to say that I was too cowardly to take cuttings and had lifted rootings(?) was left on kitchen table

Comment

Ha! don't worry Carol. Its my first time as you can guess with a cutting/rooting so I'm not much wiser but wanting to get it right( I just noticed they had lots more roots on them than the cutting pics online so sort of guessed) .
                          They are currently laid in the compost horizontally buried like Two Sheds told me, I do hope this is still the right method now (wondering if because of all the roots they could have just sat up in compost) but I don't suppose it will do them any harm, someone may confirm this is ok (Two Sheds?) also should they be covered (propogated!)?
                          Last edited by Furny; 15-04-2011, 06:43 AM.

Comment

They have been under feet of snow so would not think wee bit of compost will do them any harm at all

Comment

Originally posted by Furny View Post
                              They are currently laid in the compost horizontally buried like Two Sheds told me, ...someone may confirm this is ok (Two Sheds?) also should they be covered (propogated!)?
                              OK, I shall confirm my confirmation of the advice I gave you

What you have from Carol is roots, so you can now take root cuttings: http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...root-cuttings/

No, they don't need any kind of heat or covering, just don't let the compost dry out. Honestly, mints are weeds, you'd have to try very hard to kill it
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 15-04-2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks folks. I just needed confirmation that they where ok still to be like that now we know what we have! ha!.
                                Two Sheds do I now take them out & do the cuttings as above (in article) as at the mo the whole thing is in the compost? your post confirmed they where ok like this but then you said i could do cuttings (article)? sorry to be a pain to you.
                                Ok I will religiously water too... I did have a giggle at your post Carol & at the end of your post Two Sheds never say never! Lol!
                                Sorry if i've been a bit painfull with these it's just a bit confusing to a cutting/root newbie!.
                                Last edited by Furny; 15-04-2011, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X