growing mints

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• growing mints

I have a large planter 1.25 x 0.06 x 0.08 mtrs (LxWxH). I was going to put some different types of mint in this as I have a nice place near the back door, but a friend says you can't have different types together as they will "contaminate" each other. Is this correct?
    History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

I've never heard of that - I think the main problem would be that the strongest growing would take over the whole trough. You could put them in pots and then sink them in the trough, or maybe you could divide the trough into compartments with board or something.

Comment

ive had no problems like that.i have a large butler sink with lemon,pinapple and peppermint all thrieving.
      occasionly i have to thin them out but thats a good thing as im a sucker for mint mojitos.
      theres so many mint veriaties around its hard to choose 3 or 4 as they all smell so great.
      also have you seen corsican mint.its a ground creeping veriatey and smells of fresh apples.
      "if im not up the allotment...im up the caravan"

bowers allotment society

Comment

Just a quick question in relation to mint. A friend gave me a small bush which I set on a kitchen window. I've been watering and feeding regularly and used a few leaves. It's grown up very well and I think I need to cut it back a bit. There's the older stems with fully grown leaves and then younger thinner stems with small growing leaves. I was growing to remove the larger leaves and use them for whatever and cut the stems back to the level of compost in the pot. This should allow the smaller ones room to grow. Once they've grown up I can repeat the process.

Does this sound ok for thinning the mint or should I be doing something different?

Comment

Someone advised me on here that they're likely to cross - so I guess that's what they mean by contaminate. Therefore, loosing the flavour of say pineapple mint (smells wicked anyway ).

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
            Someone advised me on here that they're likely to cross - so I guess that's what they mean by contaminate. Therefore, loosing the flavour of say pineapple mint (smells wicked anyway ).
            They can't cross unless you let them flower and set seed, then sow the seeds.

Comment

Oh, don't they self seed - or do they grow from root propogation? (sp?)

My thread was: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...nts_47203.html where someone said they'll loose their uniqueness, so that's what I've always gone by (planted in diff gardens). bleh!

Comment

They will self seed if you let them flower. The best way to propogate mint to keep it's character is to cut off any flowers as soon as they appear (if you are using your mint regularly this shouldn't happen). When you want new plants, or just to rejuvenate your old ones, you simply dig them up, chop the rootball into bits and re-plant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X