• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calendula Hand cream

Calendula Hand Cream

Olive oil 300 ml
    Beeswax 100 gm
    Calendula 1 big handfull of flowers

Put the oil and beeswax in a double saucepan (like for melting chocolate in) and bring to a simmer. Add a big handfull of calendula flowers and simmer for 10 minutes. Filter the flowers out and put the ointment into jars to cool. You can add a few drops of any essential oil if you wish to add a fragrance.

You can add more or less beeswax to alter the consistency to your ointment if you so wish. It is brilliant on dry hands, well dry skin anywhere really and especially after gardening.

Enjoy.

oooh thank you pigsy just what i needed for my delicate pinkies
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Piglet - Beeswax as in that you would use for candles?

I make lots of beeswax candles and have loads of wax, but hadn't thought about using it for handcream.
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I get if from France Jennie from a bee keeper and its pure beeswax so I presume its the same thing.

Comment

PW if you decide to go into business and sell this - put me first on your list! sounds just the job for my poor, wrinkled, sore, chillblained fingers! DDL
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Jennie you should be able to get it from a local beekeeper. Or if not try one of the essential oil suppliers which also sell cosmetic supplies. There are a number. Aromantic is based in Forbes (I think that is how it is spelt). They are at www.aromantic.co.uk and can supply a huge variety of stuff for making your own skincare and cosmetic products.
            Bright Blessings
            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I'll have a look Earthbabe. Thanks. I know when I make the candles, my hands are lovely and soft for a while afterwards (same with spinning wool).
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Ooh, I'd LOVE to learn how to make Candles!

Is it difficult Jennie ?

Comment

PW can you explaine the double saucepan. Do you mean a pan with water in it and then a second pan inside that for the oil, wax and calendula?

Comment

Originally posted by vicki lorraine View Post
                    PW can you explaine the double saucepan. Do you mean a pan with water in it and then a second pan inside that for the oil, wax and calendula?
                    Think so Vicki - A double saucepan is usually used for melting wax, and it's exactly as you say. One pan with water in it which is placed on the heat, and then another pan inside it which contains the wax (or whatever) to be melted. It saves the wax getting burnt or overheated.

Comment

Thanks RL. Will have a go at making this cream. Where would i buy the wax?

Comment

Find a local beekeeper and buy it from him. I get mine from France as there is a guy there with over 800 hives. I buy beeswax from him that comes from the lavender fields, not that you can smell it really in the wax. Its 6 or 7 euros a kilo.

Comment

Thanks PW will contact local beekeepers society. Fancy having a go at making the cream.

Comment

I only use a double saucepan method when using hydrosols and emulsifiers. If just melting oils and wax I use a heavy bottomed milk pan over a very low heat, stirring regularly and loitering as once it starts to cool you have quite a short window for adding essential oils. If you want it to cool quicker you can sit the pan or bowl in cold water.
                            Bright Blessings
                            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                              Find a local beekeeper and buy it from him. I get mine from France as there is a guy there with over 800 hives. I buy beeswax from him that comes from the lavender fields, not that you can smell it really in the wax. Its 6 or 7 euros a kilo.
                              Hi Pigletwillie, any chance this guy in France could supply others as well as your good self? If so can we have details? I'd certainly be interested as I use beeswax to make furniture polish and some hand creams etc it gets a bit pricey buying the tiny blocks and the little beeswax chips that some suppliers sell just don't seem to cut the mustard.

Cheers ahead of thyme
                              Last edited by Herbaholic; 17-04-2007, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X