Support for herbs!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for herbs!!

I have a few herbs growing, but as they're now not in the plastic wrapping, they've began to droop all around the sides of the pot. Is there an easy practical way to stop this?

This doesn't seem to happen with basil, but it does with thyme, chives and parsley.

I thought maybe use those wooden barbecue skewers with white string attached in a loop. However this doesn't seem very good, due to the fact that different seedlings of parsley are a different length. Therfore I can either tie the top, missing the shorter ones or the bottom, leaving the longer ones to still droop pretty much like before.
    I suppose I could do both, but then it seems to be rather untidy, also I imagine I'll need to continually adjust the string as I harvest or as the plant grows.

Amy suggestions?

Thanks

Are these some you've bought from a Garden Centre or from a supermarket, it can be that the compost they are in is lacking in food as they are generally not meant to be kept for long. Any type of fertiliser will give them a lift and if they are in the house, make sure they don't get too dry.

Comment

Thyme and chives are perennials if you put them into larger pots and they'll do well. Basil is easily propagated if its leggy just cut of the top 3 inch and keep it in water once it has good roots plant it in compost.
      Not sure about your parsley I grow mine in the garden leaving it to self seed its best to keep using it even if you have to freeze some that way I've found it seems to keep producing new leaves.
      Hope this helps.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I got this from the supermarket.
        But I got chives in the past and replanted them in the garden. They absolutely flourished and even floweed (they look very nice)

​​​​So am I right in thinking these plants don't need to be propped up with sticks like for example roses do?
        Because even my garden chives tend to droop a bit.

Interested by what you said about basil. That means I have to literally put the plant into water to get the roots to grow to re pot it?

Comment

Originally posted by redkoatz View Post
          Interested by what you said about basil. That means I have to literally put the plant into water to get the roots to grow to re pot it?
          Basil soon roots in water I'll be potting this one up today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	73363ba8-43a3-4482-a422-3faf5e2f782f.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	2502186

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

Basil soon roots in water I'll be potting this one up today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	73363ba8-43a3-4482-a422-3faf5e2f782f.JPG Views:	0 Size:	155.8 KB ID:	2502186
            I can do this. I have some Mason jars.

How long do you do this for? Is it similar to how I keep potatoes in the cold dark until they grow sprouts so I can use them as seed potatoes?

I take it I can just replant the parsley and thyme right away?

Regards

BTW don't you just love the fragrance of Basil?
            Very herbal if you get me. I just like to grow more to deodorise the musty smell in the spare bedroom.
            Last edited by redkoatz; 06-07-2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

This is purple basil after about ten days.
              apart from growing roots very quickly, it also loses a fair bit of “redness” after sitting on my sunny kitchen windowsill.
              Always perks up nice and purple again once it goes outside though.
              Attached Files

Comment

Rosemary roots really easily in water too. I forgot about these small cuttings.
                I’m afraid they’ve probably been in a very small jar for about 4 weeks.
                Time to put the poor little rooted things outside.
                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X