Bee and butterfly magnet

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bee and butterfly magnet

These are pics of my Verbena Bonariensis.
    Always covered in bumblebees, honeybees and all sorts of butterflies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	38FE66F8-3DFD-46EF-A864-7B0270A9D05B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2406512Click image for larger version

Name:	DBC123F3-E2BD-4314-939D-18F2682ED353.jpg
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	2406511Click image for larger version

Name:	725BBCC4-C54A-42D5-A348-6D6AE512319A.jpg
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	2406513

Lovely, I planted some earlier in the year, it's been a struggle to keep it watered enough but hopefully we have kept it going. Am looking forward to it flowering next year

Comment

Yes Verbena is a fantastic flower for pollinators. My choice of flower or plant to grow is always influenced by ‘it is good for pollinators’. It is interesting to observe the bees favourites when they have a rich choice. Iv’e often thought it would be a useful tool for myself and others if I used a calendar noting their favourites throughout spring to autumn on the calendar. You could use the notes to create a bee heaven welcoming a queen coming out of hibernation right through till late autumn.

Comment

I intend to grow some of this, but as it's a tall plant, will it be ok in a windy coastal location?

Comment

Winter flowering shrubby honeysuckle for bumble bees who are out all year here.

Photinia davidiana 'Palette' for summer. You can hear the buzzing from across the garden.
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Verbena isn't just for insects - if you leave the seed heads, the gold finches will feast on them.
            Really brightened the winter garden, seeing all those finches - up to 20 at a time, on the seedheads, especially as I could watch them from indoors as the plants are only a couple of feet from the kitchen window.
            Lots of seeds survived and have self seeded around the garden, so there should be even more finches popping in for a snack this winter.

Comment

Bernie - it is indeed a tall plant but is wispy so really doesn’t need staking even in windy conditions. Also it will happily come up through other stronger plants and bloom above them - the plants below them will help protect it from any wind.
              That’s a good point about the goldfinches Veggie. I think a lot of people unwittingly deadhead their verbena not realising as you say the seed heads are a welcome feast for finches. Teasel seed heads spring to mind also when I think of goldfinches. Like you I love to see a charm of goldfinches pay a visit - lovely that you have positioned your verbena so close to your kitchen window.
              Sad that goldfinches were often caught from the wild and caged in byegone days.

Comment

I’ve got my verbena bonariensis interplanted with patrinia scabisifolia. Will post a picture of that for tomorrow’s flower of the day.

Comment

The other seed head in my garden that the birds go bonkers for is echinacea. So I only be deadheading that either!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X