Feeding blind daffodils?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding blind daffodils?

I've noticed this year I have quite a few blind daffodils . Most of them are less than 5yrs old, they are in full sun, they are not overcrowded and nope, I don't ever cut off the leaves but let them die back naturally.

They are a mixture of tiny ones, various narcissi and daffs.

I'm thinking they may need feeding as I've never done this....can you please suggest when is the best time and what do you suggest I feed them with? (Bearing in mind I can't get hold of most UK products)

should I water them as they are dying back?....(we don't generally have very dry Springs)

any advice is much appreciated...ta muchly!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I dig out blind bulbs, place them in a damp corner, add lots of compost and a handful of Growmore and leave years until they flower..Means no obvious holes in flower displays..

Comment

Give them a potash feed that is low in nitrogen. Are the bulbs planted deep enough? The deeper they are, the better they flower. I think this may have something too do with the bulbs not drying out if they are good and deep in the soil, since they won't flower if too dry. Water the feed in if the soil is dry.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Thanks for that

We have a lot of ash from the woodfire (mixture of hardwoods)... presumably that should work?
        How thick a layer/sprinkle do you suggest?
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          I've noticed this year I have quite a few blind daffodils .

any advice is much appreciated...ta muchly!
          Should have gone to Specsavers.

Sorry, but I had to say it.................I'm off to the norty step...............Byeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

Yep - we've got lots the same as well.

Comment

I've had quite a few blind snowdrops this year.

Have given them and crocuses a liquid feed. May give them another in a month.

Had to explain to a passerby that I wasn't mad apparently watering lawn in April!
              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Thanks for that

We have a lot of ash from the woodfire (mixture of hardwoods)... presumably that should work?
                How thick a layer/sprinkle do you suggest?
                I don't know, not something I've used, but a light sprinkling I guess, you don't want to make the soil too alkaline. I'd sprinkle some bonemeal too if you can get it, to give them phosphorus.
                I use blood and bonemeal, or blood, fish and bonemeal if I can't get the other. (Though I don't like using BF&B 'cos of the ethical issues around dredging fish from the sea just to make garden fertilizers)
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X