replied
    Originally posted by carly View Post
    Which part of the country are you in?
    West Yorkshire, fairly high up.

Leave a comment:

• nickdub
    replied
    Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
    Dalemain historic house and gardens is not far from here, it's famous for its blue poppies. Gets pretty cold and wet up here, as you'd imagine, so they must be pretty hardy... just specific as to their requirements?
    I think they are from the Himalayas, so cold is not the problem.

I've tried several times to get them started from seed with no luck at all. I reckon the seed probably needs to be fresh to get reasonable germination.

Anyway I've ordered a few seedling plants which have yet to tum up, but I think I should be able to provide the moist, shady conditions which they need to grow OK.

Leave a comment:

• Madasafish
    replied
    My plants are growing slowly. I have placed them behind a North facing wall of the house with the western side which gets evening sun sheltered by a bit of old wood. I have covered all the plants with a thin layer of fleece to prevent damage by heat (!) and keep them moist. I am also raising Grandis and Lingholm versions from seed which appear to germinate more quickly (Planted March 2018 - seedlings just emerging.)

Patience is required. And LOTS of slug pellets. Slugs and snails love them - (blue pellets going mouldy on top of compost in pictures)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Madasafish; 22-04-2018, 03:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1Bee
    replied
    Dalemain historic house and gardens is not far from here, it's famous for its blue poppies. Gets pretty cold and wet up here, as you'd imagine, so they must be pretty hardy... just specific as to their requirements?

Leave a comment:

• carly
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
    Congratulations! I hope they thrive for you.

I was talking to a local gardener recently and said I'd love to grow some, and hope they would be OK in the garden. He said he's tried them several times for various clients and they have all turned their toes up; they don't do well round here apparently.
    Which part of the country are you in?

Leave a comment:

• Madasafish
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitzi View Post

I was talking to a local gardener recently and said I'd love to grow some, and hope they would be OK in the garden. He said he's tried them several times for various clients and they have all turned their toes up; they don't do well round here apparently.
    I understand they need shade and slightly acidic soil with lots of leaf mulch # in soil. I have seen them growing in Longsdon near Leek Staffordshire in a garden below 50 meter high trees(!). Looked gorgeous.

# I have about 100kgs of leaf mulch in a heap in our garden...
    Last edited by Madasafish; 15-03-2018, 11:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mitzi
    replied
    Originally posted by Madasafish View Post
    I sowed some on a seed tray in November 2017, left to overwinter in a cold frame and plants are now appearing. Now to keep them moist and not overheat in whatever sun we get.

Leave a comment:

• Madasafish
    replied
    I sowed some on a seed tray in November 2017, left to overwinter in a cold frame and plants are now appearing. Now to keep them moist and not overheat in whatever sun we get.

Leave a comment:

• Mitzi
    replied
    My recollection is that they need acidic conditions to be really blue (like hydrangeas) otherwise they are likely to be mauve.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Check out WPG posts here :http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-2017-a-2.html
    I know the seed need some time in the fridge....

Leave a comment:

• carly
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Are you starting from seed? I didn't have much luck but left them to dry out I think WPG grew some.
    It should be planted outside, if you have a plant you can keep it inside the greenhouse and plant out in Spring.
    Yes, I will be starting it from seed

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Save seeds in the Summer because Poppy's can be short lived.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/174993...ngholm/Details
    Last edited by Scarlet; 12-01-2018, 04:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Are you starting from seed? I didn't have much luck but left them to dry out I think WPG grew some.
    It should be planted outside, if you have a plant you can keep it inside the greenhouse and plant out in Spring.

Leave a comment:

• carly
    started a topic Himalayan blue poppy

Himalayan blue poppy

So I have heard that this is difficult to grow. I was planning on keeping it in greenhouse but it cannot withstand temp over 65.... so I think start in greenhouse and when temps start to get hotter bring it out ... it needs to be in the partial shade too and have 12 hours of sunlight. Has anyone grown these successfully? If so what did you do?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X