X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laggy Sunflowers

Hi Guys,
    I've some sunflowers in the greenhouse that are "Laggy"

I've propped them up with sticks and am wondering if this is normal or will they need supporting until they are planted in the garden and their stalks (Hopefully) get thicker?

TIA

They look good to me, but the pots are now too small for the plants. When are you thinking of planting them out?

If it's going to be a couple of weeks or more I would pot them on into a size bigger pot.

Comment

Don't keep them too warm and make sure they have plenty of light and they should be fine repot them as Rusty lady suggests.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by NoTWHaTiTWaSNT View Post
        I've some sunflowers in the greenhouse that are "Laggy"
        Leggy? (tall & thin, weedy)

They should be hardening off now: out of the gh daytimes, back in at night, for a week. Then they can go in the ground
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks guys, they will be going in the ground after hardening off.

Do I need to worry about slugs and snails?

.... and still the question of how long will they need supporting for?

Comment

Slugs and snails LOVE them! They will need supporting until they are able to stand on their own! Sorry it's a "how long is a piece of string question". I have noticed that self sown or direct sown sunflowers rarely need support, but planted out ones generally do - sometimes for their whole life.

Comment

Originally posted by NoTWHaTiTWaSNT View Post
              how long will they need supporting for?
              they shouldn't need any support at all at the seedling stage ~ if they do, they've been grown too warm/not enough light.

But I've got some that are the same, leggy & floppy, so I've planted them out up to their necks (floppy stem completely buried).
              They need tying to canes in my garden, as it's so windy here
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                they shouldn't need any support at all at the seedling stage ~ if they do, they've been grown too warm/not enough light.
                They've been outside in the daytime and the stems have toughened up.

Thanks guys

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X