Blue Tibetan Poppy

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Tibetan Poppy

I've always had a great love and fascination for Tibet. Lhasa (esp. the Potala) is the place on earth I'd most like to visit. One day ...

Because of my interest in things Tibetan I was drawn to the beautiful and striking Blue Tibetan Poppy. I believe you can get them in plugs now, but I'd prefer to grow them myself from seed.
    I tried a couple of years ago, even putting them in the fridge for a few days, but the seed just wouldn't germinate.

Anyone here tried it and succeeded? Any tips ...
    Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
    Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

HOW TO GROW THE HIMALAYAN BLUE POPPY - Meconopsis betonicifolia - FROM SEED |The Garden of Eaden
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks for that, Bigmally. Lets see if I can crack it this time...
      Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.

Comment

I've had a couple of goes at this ... I've managed to get them going after stratification in the fridge but never got them to flowering size. The slugs smell them from 10 miles away and pounce as soon as you turn your back.

One day when I've got a decent bit of acidic soil I'll have another go.

Good luck and watch out for those pesky slugs!
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I grew some a few eyes ago, didn't bother with fridging etc and they did fine, we're really lovely although the flowers don't last long. I germinated in a heated propagator and grew on under cover until May before planting out.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I managed to grow some from seed last year and planted out in the autumn, they have survived the winter and are making growth, so I hoping for some flowers later this spring. I joined the Meconopsis group, and obtained seeds from them. Have a look on their website for cultural instructions etc, I found it most helpful.

Comment

I sowed two packets of Mecanopsis about 6 weeks ago - Grandis and Alba. No joy from either variety yet - it's maybe not cold enough so I'll try putting them in the fridge for a while. The seeds weren't cheap (T&M) so I hope even a couple of them germinate.

Comment

Originally posted by Travellers View Post
                I managed to grow some from seed last year and planted out in the autumn, they have survived the winter and are making growth, so I hoping for some flowers later this spring. I joined the Meconopsis group, and obtained seeds from them. Have a look on their website for cultural instructions etc, I found it most helpful.
                Thank you for that. I'll have a look.

Comment

Thanks for the fridge tip - I've got a packet's worth in the fridge now doing time.
                  Dogs have masters - cats have staff.

Comment

I'm delighted that my mecanopsis seeds (Grandis and Alba) finally germinated. But the seedlings seemed to have stopped growing - they've been this size for the past four weeks. The first true leaves are just about starting to show on most of them, but they're just not growing at all.

I'm not sure if they're just naturally slow, or whether I should try potting them on, despite the small size - if anyone has any advice I'd be grateful (the white bits in the photo is perlite)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by WPG; 06-05-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

After a 2 year gap, I'm chuffed to report that two of my tiny seedlings (above) have finally flowered. Quite a wait, but well worth it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful - well done you!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X