Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clueless on bulbs (and other flower bed questions!)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clueless on bulbs (and other flower bed questions!)

Hi all, I notice a lot of bulbs for sale at the moment. I am wondering how and when to plant these
    I want to keep flowers through the winter so am intending to plant some winter bedding in my border and pots (e.g. bergenia, cyclamen, hellebores viola etc)
    Can I put the bulbs in with these plants? If so, do I need to remove the winter bedding when the spring bulbs start to come through?
    #Clueless!

Yes you can plant the bulbs under the winter bedding,pansys are lovely too,some look like happy little faces don’t remove the bedding when the bulbs come through,it’ll be a nice display. You could have a few layers of bulbs,smaller ones at the top. Plant when it’s a bit colder,the end of the month going into November,the soils a bit warm at the mo,they might start growing.
    Last edited by Jungle Jane; 06-10-2021, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Sounds great- I second JJ’s comments.
      Do share some piccies when they come through together won’t you ?
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks all, will be posting pictures in the spring when they come through.

Comment

A couple more questions!
          1 - I bought a dahlia in Tescos, it is looking a bit worn now, should I put in a smaller pot and move it to the greenhouse / shed?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	07aszjKeDV.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	1,001.0 KB
ID:	2534753

2 - I have an ajuga and it has taken over the pot, I am thinking of splitting the rootball into two or three pieces - is that OK?
          3 - Similar question fro the creeping Jenny. The photo below shows it in a pot with the ajuga and it is losing the battle in that pot, but in the others it is in it is taking over!

Name:	niJ7Ar0vq3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2534754

4 - Any idea what these purple headed plants are?

Name:	ij2WnzPRUn.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2534755

5 - This grass was looking good last year, but over the summer it has grown and 'flattened, taking over a lot of the bed. Any suggestions?

Name:	o6GCN2E4Sd.thumb.png
Views:	212
Size:	728.4 KB
ID:	2534756

6 - Any idea what this plant is? I was given it in the summer and dont know what to do with it over the winter!

Name:	CfKA9awqeI.thumb.png
Views:	217
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	2534757
          Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=Rapscallion;n2534746]A couple more questions!
            1 - I bought a dahlia in Tescos, it is looking a bit worn now, should I put in a smaller pot and move it to the greenhouse / shed?

2 - I have an ajuga and it has taken over the pot, I am thinking of splitting the rootball into two or three pieces - is that OK?
            3 - Similar question fro the creeping Jenny. The photo below shows it in a pot with the ajuga and it is losing the battle in that pot, but in the others it is in it is taking over!

5 - This grass was looking good last year, but over the summer it has grown and 'flattened, taking over a lot of the bed. Any suggestions?

6 - Any idea what this plant is? I was given it in the summer and dont know what to do with it over the winter!

1. dahlia's you normally let the frost blacken the leaves then lift them and keep them dry and frost free I know a man with an excellent video about them

2&3 yes you can split the Ajuga and the creeping Jenny up and pot them seperately or pop them in your borber - Ajuga's make great ground cover

4. Looks like ageratum - summer bedding

5. your Grass, you caneither set about it with a pair of shears and trim it back or lift it and divide it and re plant it and pot on the other bit s or plant somewhere else
            6.Canna Lilly ... treat it the same as a dahlia

Last edited by nick the grief; 13-10-2021, 09:30 AM.
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Can I add to the questions? Our basement is a bit damp, nothing significant but definitely a bit. Hits maybe 3 or 4 ºC in the worst of winter. Would that be suitable as a place for storing bulbs over winter?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                Can I add to the questions? Our basement is a bit damp, nothing significant but definitely a bit. Hits maybe 3 or 4 ºC in the worst of winter. Would that be suitable as a place for storing bulbs over winter?
                should be OK. one of my mates stores all his dahlia's on the floor of his greenhouse with a couple of sack thrown over them so that would would be damper than your basement.I bet.

Just check on them every now and then say once a week.
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Thanks, nick the grief.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    What type of bulbs are you referring to, Snoop
                    Last edited by rary; 16-10-2021, 05:46 PM.
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post

What type of bulbs are you referring to, Snoop
                      Good question, Rary. I had meant dahlias, as those are the ones that were mentioned. Have you got any advice?

By the way, I've been spreading your smiles about liberally every day. I hope some reached you.

Comment

I'd be concerned about keeping dahlia tubers somewhere you know to be damp, because they can go mouldy, then it's curtains. My friend had an heirloom Bishop of Llandaff that was lost like this. Depends how much you love yours whether you want to risk it.

My potted ones are kept in their dry compost in the greenhouse, the lifted and dried ones are individually wrapped in newspaper and kept on the floor of a virtually unheated room.

Rapscallion, my canna is in its pot in the greenhouse too, if you have one this should work. Don't water it at all over winter, and give it fresh compost in March.
                        Last edited by Babru; 17-10-2021, 06:37 AM.
                        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Thanks, Babru. I don't have a greenhouse so am looking for other options. Maybe I'd just have to risk it.

Comment

Snoop, try wrapping some in newspaper and store in a large wooden or polystyrene box,(the type that shops might get with flowers or fish) or simply place in box and cover with dry soil, compost or wood shavings, I would also simply dry some off wrap in newspaper and leave on a bench in you cellar, to see how they survive, and if they do that's you set for the future
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

^Great advice, thanks rary.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X