Another dead Bowles Mauve

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another dead Bowles Mauve

Well, here I go again with another plant that suddenly pops it's clogs for no reason. I had planted a Bowles mauve into the soil as advised here (previous pot plants died) and it did really well, for a couple of years at least until this summer end it started to look sickly and flowers went thin and wispy with the plant getting smaller and smaller (a common thing with a lot of stuff I grow) Why when it had previously given fantastic flowers with bees abundant, right through last winter (obviously no bees then) and 2020 to just die with all the stems dry with no green ?

Gutted

Nothing lives forever, Marb. I see on some sites that it might live for up to five years, but Gardener's World describes it as "short-lived". Maybe the roots were eaten below ground or maybe it was just done. Gardener's World says it's easily propagated from cuttings if you have the time and space to do this with your next plant if you try again.
    Living in north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep.

Comment

Well it should last longer than that, especially being so healthy and abundant with flowers. I have known it to last years in other gardens. I also bought a different coloured version a few years ago and that also died after 1 season.
      Last edited by Marb67; 09-02-2021, 07:32 AM.

Comment

My first one in this garden lasted three years. It flowered from when I bought it, virtually till it popped its clogs, I think they just flower themselves to death. I've taken a cutting of my current one, in anticipation of its demise. Worth the effort though, fabulous plants.
        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Well, an update on my Bowles Mauve. Absolutely blowing a gale here today, with very strong gusts of wind. The BM was heaved out of the ground, flung in the air, then has been rolling around the garden like tumbleweed. Tiny little rootball for the size of plant.

My cat was looking out of the window at the time and reared back in alarm!

Good job I have that cutting.
          Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X