Couple of Dahlia Qs.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Dahlia Qs.

Hi all. Can any of the dahlia experts out there answer a couple of questions for me?
    1... Why have some of my dahlias have large yellow centres and few petals? It seems to be happening with their first couple of flowers mostly.
    2... How many of you when removing the two side buds of the centre flower remove all such buds? Or do you remove only a percentage of them and allow the rest to flower freely? I know the reasons for doing this but just wondered if you should remove all on the bush.
    Thanks..in anticipation.
    Look forward to your help!

I'm no expert, so I usually turn to these when doubtful, https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popula.../growing-guide

Comment

I grow dahlias every year.Havnt got an answer as to why your flowers have large centres and not many petals.
      What variety are they?
      Removing side shoots or buds, I never do this.
      I grow my dahlias purely for the bees every year.
      Every flower will give the bees some honey I.just leave them to get on with it.
      I grow anything from large cactus, pompoms, single flower and anything else in between.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Ah ok ..
        re bees. Some of my dahlias are open faced varieties but many have a form that bees cannot reach centres. I grow other flowers for bees.

Comment

I think people tend to remove side shoots if they're showing their dahlias? I never have, but I'd be interested to hear the answers from those who do. I had planned to enter our local show this year, but of course it's cancelled. Next year I hope....
          Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Ooh Babru. That’s very spooky. I could have written your answer. I know why the buds are removed and like you I was intending to enter a local show. I’ve grown about 35 varieties. This time last year I was interested in them but this year I’m really getting excited by them. There are so many forms and so beautiful. My neighbour who usually shows them gave me eleven! I managed to bring some back from last year too. Do you know of any books with really good information as a growing guide? That would suit a beginner and a more experienced grower. I’m surprised more Gyo posters haven’t replied as Dahlias seem to be popular again.

Comment

I saved some root stock from a thicket of weeds left by the previous plot holder.
              People who looked at them last year before I took on the plot say that they are doing much better now.
              I have left them for the bees that are nesting under my shed.
              You can see the wild bees on them in the wildlife gardening section.
              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Wow bobbin, 35 varieties, that's a lot. I have about a dozen and am wondering how I will lift and store them all!

I do love them though, such stunning colours and so many flowers. My earliest to flower was Happy Single Flame on the 25 May, and I expect it to flower till October. Can you get anything better value than that!

Comment

The tubers on my plot have overwintered in the ground for an unknown number of years and they are fine.
                  Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I leave my dahlias in the ground every year.
                    I pile plenty of earth on top of them and fleece them if the weather is really harsh.
                    I have been growing dahlias for years and just the many varieties available.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I left one in the ground last year. I am in Edinburgh so was taking a gamble, though I did mound some soil over the top. I didn't lift this one because the tuber was huuuuge when I planted it, and I couldn't face drying it off and storing it. (It was 2.5 pounds in weight, and I got it at Harrogate flower show, a bit of fun really!)

It's just coming into bud now, so I think I'd prefer to lift mine, so I get earlier flowers. Maybe it's the variety that is later, it's a dinner plate, Cafe Au Lait.

Comment

I leave mine in the ground, too. I just don't have the space to store.

My cafe au lait is only just coming into flower, too. About a month later than last year, but left in the ground both times.

Comment

Babru you will get your flowers earlier if they are lifted but you can leave them in the ground over winter then lift them to start them off but it is always a gamble leaving them in the ground over winter in most of Scotland
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Babru.. I must be honest and admit it’s about 35 dahlias
                            because my neighbour usually show dahlias In our local show and sells new ones he taken from cuttings. He had loads he gave away as obviously lockdown scuppered every thing. I had brought on 23. ( some varieties duplicated ) so it’s 35 dahlias but not all different. Plus my other cutting flowers. It’s just lovely! They’ve just exploded into colour.

Comment

Not sure about the reason why your flowers have unusual forms. Maybe that's just a type of a dahlia, or you've created a new one. I usually leave them for bees and think it's a good way not to break the natural eating circle. 35 types that's a reeeeeeeeeeeally cool result, you are a great gardener. I am inspired by this post, hope I will get about 20 types next year. I had only 11 this year, but that wasn't easy for me to plant too. Hope I will get better results next year really. My favorites are peachy color and light pink. They are so light and fluffy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X