No announcement yet.

The flower seed sowing thread 2020

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some calendula and cosmos in unheated gh snd rudbeckia but covering those on cold nights. Rest (alot) are still in the house .
    Northern England.

Comment

Have cosmos and various other annuals in my heated greenhouse and doing ok without covering. Starting taking them outside during the day as hoping to get them in the borders in the next few weeks. I might cover them with fleece at the weekend though as forecast for 1 degree overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
        Have cosmos and various other annuals in my heated greenhouse and doing ok without covering. Starting taking them outside during the day as hoping to get them in the borders in the next few weeks. I might cover them with fleece at the weekend though as forecast for 1 degree overnight.
        Have had most of mine out for a couple of weeks now
        Calendula, Sweet Peas, Matricaria, Helichrysum, Celosia Pampas Plumes, Celosia Flamingo Feather, Cleomes, Clary, Cosmos, Tagetes, Frosted Explosion grass and Cornflowers.
        All doing really well without me having to do any coddling.
        the ones that are still slow to get going and are needing to be in the greenhouse are Gomphrena, Zinnias and Celosia Cristata.

Comment

So could I start planting out some of my seedlings if I wait until after the next few nights when there is going to be some cold nights. Have cosmos, osteospurnum, nepeta and rudbekia that could go out I reckon. The rest are all a bit small yet.

Comment

I’ve used seed of what I had available before lock down, although i’ve managed to get some more since.

I’m growing Zinnias, Cosmos, Calendulas (lots). Caster oil as they surprised med an germinated.
            Cornflowers, Tithonias, Amaranth... never grown this one before. Nasturtiums.. for hanging baskets perhaps.

and only 3 Tagetes germinated, and only 3 Giant Sunflowers germinated.

and some rudbeckia, although very slow to get going.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5A220116-E8EC-4DA2-97F5-ED24C4C2D255.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	2494799
            Attached Files
            Last edited by seasprout; 09-05-2020, 05:55 AM.
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Wow they look good and much further on than mine. Maybe I started too late, must think about this for next year. I saw Monty planting out some nicotiana and the plants were really big, mine are so tiny still.

Comment

Sowed some celosia cristata that I saved at least four years ago.
                Absolutely amazed that it popped up in three days!!
                also had a very old packet of cosmos that I gave to my 85 year old neighbour.
                (she wanted any old bits and pieces to sow in her greenhouse to give her something to do).
                similarly they popped up in less than a week.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X