Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocelot
    replied
    I have grown tagetes lucida (which is a perennial) before, but it doesn't always survive the winter in a greenhouse, I find.

Lovely scented foliage, though.

Leave a comment:

• toomanytommytoes
    replied
    Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
    I once grew this variety amongst my tomatoes in the polytunnel and they just shot away! Attracted loads of bees, hoverflies and parasitic wasps too which was great for keeping any pests in control.
    I'll be growing them every year now! There's one outdoors in a raised bed that's still flowering! Also had some in those stackable strawberry containers next to the brassica bed to attract predators, they were in rubbish old potting mix and still did fantastically well. Might give the red and orange varieties a go next year.

Leave a comment:

• Gillykat
    replied
    Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
    Tagetes tenuifolia 'Lemon Gem'...masses of yellow flowers all summer long on small plants, does really well in small pots, foliage smells like lemon, attracted loads of hoverflies, ladybirds and parasitic wasps into the greenhouse. There are red and orange varieties too, I think.
    I once grew this variety amongst my tomatoes in the polytunnel and they just shot away! Attracted loads of bees, hoverflies and parasitic wasps too which was great for keeping any pests in control.

Leave a comment:

• farendwoman
    replied
    I like to throw a couple of tagetes “Lemon Gem” in a salad.
    Looks very “Mastercheffy” and they have a really nice citrus flavour.
    Also I grew some “Indian Marigolds “ a couple of years ago from seed that I got from Sutton’s. They were really fabulous like huge improved African marigolds. I think they were called Kushi.
    This post has made me think again about growing marigolds and tagetes - so thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    replied
    Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
    Good question
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]89204[/ATTACH]

Please tell me they are actually marigolds of some kind.
    English (or pot) marigolds aka Calendula officinalis

ooops, VC has already said so
    Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 21-10-2019, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Originally posted by muck lover View Post
    VC your post is six months too late for me. I sowed tagetes this year for the polytunnel Beds expecting neat little plants thinking I was really getting the hang of the companion planting thingy. They grew four feet tall and frightened me a bit. I had to hack them back a couple of times to let the tomatoes grow and I could hardly pull them out at the end.
    Snap, see post #2 in the thread half mine were fine then the rest were like yours almost to the GH roof.

Leave a comment:

• muck lover
    replied
    VC your post is six months too late for me. I sowed tagetes this year for the polytunnel Beds expecting neat little plants thinking I was really getting the hang of the companion planting thingy. They grew four feet tall and frightened me a bit. I had to hack them back a couple of times to let the tomatoes grow and I could hardly pull them out at the end.

Leave a comment:

• Mitzi
    replied
    I understand the difference between English (calendula) and the others (tagetes) but I've never understood the difference between French, African and whatever else. (I did know they were all from the new world despite the names.)

I believe that it's only calendula petals that you can put in salads, but I still don't know which tagetes is the best for deterring pests from my chilli plants.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    They're English marigolds/Calendula not one of the Tagetes.

Confusing innit?

Leave a comment:

• greenishfing
    replied
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    ^^^ Are they English marigolds/calendula or Tagetes?
    Good question
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_135603.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	2385613

Please tell me they are actually marigolds of some kind.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Calendula prolifera is good for hens & chicks I’ve grown Mexican or African marigolds once but they were to big & wide,in the space I’ve got I prefer the compact French marigolds,loads of them everywhere amongst other plants all mixed together,good as a trap crop for slugs.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    ^^^ Are they English marigolds/calendula or Tagetes?

Leave a comment:

• greenishfing
    replied
    I have marigolds (orange and yellow ones). No idea what sort as I planted the seeds years ago and now they self seed every year to the extent that I pull hundreds up. I just like the bright cheerful colours. If they can help in the fight against couch grass I'm tempted to put them all around the edges of the allotment. I wish they would control bindweed too!

Leave a comment:

• bikermike
    replied
    Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
    The only ones I grow are the single varieties of Tagetes patula, like Dainty Marietta and her sisters Red, Disco and of course there's always the Naughty one
    They keep the whitefly out of the greenhouse and look cheerful Seeds are cheap but they often self seed in the greenhouse warmth.

A Chinese family took on a weedy plot earlier this year and they planted half of it with tall Marigolds, they look lovely (like African types) but they said the marigolds would kill the couch grass roots. I was dubious, but I'm keeping an eye on it...
    Good lord! really? please keep me posted. Also, I'm told that Marestail is used in Chinese traditional medicine, so if they ever want any, I'm happy to trade... ;-)

Leave a comment:

• toomanytommytoes
    replied
    Tagetes tenuifolia 'Lemon Gem'...masses of yellow flowers all summer long on small plants, does really well in small pots, foliage smells like lemon, attracted loads of hoverflies, ladybirds and parasitic wasps into the greenhouse. There are red and orange varieties too, I think.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X