Plant ID please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant ID please

I was given this little plant by a neighbour. Has anyone any idea what it might be called? It is only about 5-6 inches high. Note the flower appear not from an individual stem but from one of the growing leaves. If you look carefully at the photo with no flower you will see a flower bud swelling from one of the leaves. I am intrigued.
    Attached Files

Looks like Sisyrinchium Californicum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyrinchium_californicum

Comment

Gosh Veggie full marks. You are correct. On closer examination the flower stem is not a leaf — i originally thought it was but that’s because the stem is flat like the iris like leaves. I must put it in a pot of its own and see how big a clump it becomes. It is a lovely plant. Thanks again Veggie.

Comment

They are lovely. I used to have some, like you I was given them by a friend and didn't know what they were so had to find out!

Comment

Having now able to look it up I see it forms a clump which can be divided in spring or simply let it self sow. Needs to be kept in quite moist conditions. I’ve already chosen a nice pot for it.

Comment

I think mine self seeded.

Comment

There we go - my little ‘yellowed eyed grass’ plant has secured a mortgage and now has its own little home.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by cheops; 20-08-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X