Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are bark chippings ok for run?

Hello.
    I am totally new to keeping hens, so new, I don't have any yet but I am seriously considering 3/4 ex battery hens. I would be keeping their house and run on our slabbed patio, next to the house. Of course I would want to put some type of covering on the slabs. Would bark chippings or multi purpose compost be ok? I haven't a clue if this is a great idea or a total no no!. If not a good idea, what could I use? Kind regards, Beenie.

Hello and welcome to the Vine Beenie. Don't know about bark chippings but I know wood chippings are used, (look up Back To Eden Method), in which case they can usually be sourced free of charge.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Never used them myself but as my gut feeling was 'no' , I've had a bit of a goooogle and found this...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ns-winter-tips
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Ooops..how rude of me!.......Welcome to the Vine!

Comment

Thanks very much for the replies, Mr Bones and Nico.
          I will set aside some time to have a look at the back to Eden method, i found a very interesting article on google but it will take some time to get through it.
          As far as the Guardian article is concerned, bark chippings are a big NO NO.
          Thanks again for your help. (You haven't heard the last of me)!

Comment

Hello beenie and welcome
            How much space can you give the chooks? They love to scratch around so will need quite a deep layer of whatever you give them. Do you have any ground that they could live on, rather than slabs?
            There are mobile chicken runs that can be moved around the garden. Goggle "Chicken tractors" for ideas.

Comment

Beenie....do stick around!...the more questions the better!
              We're all happy to learn as we go!

Comment

Hello. Thanks all for the warm welcome.
                I will be giving my hens approx 6-8ft X 8-10ft of actual run space, they will have their house too. I will also be giving them a potter in the garden at weekends/early evenings and days off work. Hubby will put a wood or plastic barrier of approx 6 " around the base of the run to keep the litter/shavings in.
                I have also heard of Hemcore, Aubiouse and Easibed. I think some of that is actually horses litter. Any views on that?
                PS. I am just about to Google chicken tractors.

Comment

Hello,

I have used wood chippings with great success for the past two winters. It's also useful when you dig it out in the spring and whack it on the compost heap! Chicken manure plus wood chip makes for wonderful compost when combined with grass cuttings and other garden waste!

As for the 6" barrier to the base, it's a great idea and i would go double that height otherwise they will be kicking it out over the top when it builds up in the one corner you wish they didn't drag it all into!!!

Comment

Thanks for that Stan. I will look into wood chippings too. Didn't realise the chooks would be kicking that high! That's fine though, it's all a learning curve.

Comment

Mine drag them into one end of the run and gradually the pile builds up and then you find they're accidentally pushing it out the sides!

Comment

Well, I have decided on Easichick bedding. It will do for the henhouse and for the run.
                        Ordered it and it should be here by Friday, ready for the new residents on Saturday!

Comment

Bet you're like a kid waiting for Xmas!

Lucky gals being rescued by you

Comment

Yes I am so excited, only 5 sleeps to go!
                            I keep going over all the details again and again. Hubby has now built the coop and run but I don't think it's big enough, so he is under instructions to build an extension onto the original one. ( Just as well he's as soft as me. )

Comment

Excited for you,i know how i felt,and still do.
                              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X