This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    That's a lot of birds...you may be better with a staggered lot. I found that if you had a mix of new and old you always get an egg. Have them all in one go and you can guarantee that they will all go broody/ or have a rest at the same time and stop laying.
    I would tend to agree. All chickens will eventually naturally change their laying cycle to spring and summer after moults. What you may wish to do is refresh your stock every autumn.... no that should be late spring/summer..…

The poultry are released as they go off the lay, so say couple months for moult, then eggs on through the winter.... You would hope.
    Last edited by 4Shoes; 15-12-2018, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      None in Scotland then?
      Ex-Battery Hens in Scotland - The Smallest Smallholding

Or just ask a few peeps around. New trend is for farmers to "sell off" stock if they can so may have got up there. (Not many chicken farms in Wigtown)

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        That's a lot of birds...you may be better with a staggered lot. I found that if you had a mix of new and old you always get an egg. Have them all in one go and you can guarantee that they will all go broody/ or have a rest at the same time and stop laying.
        Thank you, yep. Also i think it might be too many for the allotment space and run that ive allocated
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
          I would tend to agree. All chickens will eventually naturally change their laying cycle to spring and summer after moults. What you may wish to do is refresh your stock every autumn.... no that should be late spring/summer..…

The poultry are released as they go off the lay, so say couple months for moult, then eggs on through the winter.... You would hope.
          thanks for the great advice
          Last edited by MyWifesBrassicas; 15-12-2018, 11:35 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

OOOH i am very temped,i see Melton Mowbray,that is not far from me,but it does not say where abouts,i know my way to the hospital and town centre ooh err,thats all that is holding me back.
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I usually hatch my own. A young bird will generally start laying in September and carry on through the winter. Just adding a new hatch in every year worked for me.
              Unfortunately I've had a serious problem with foxes - we seem to be over run at the moment and even with an electric fence we were losing birds in the day. So I'm having a chicken /turkey break.

Comment

MyWifesBrassicas, do you have the option of keeping a cockerel? Like Scarlet says, spring chicks should grow to become winter layers.

Not only foxes you need to be prepared for. Badgers are stronger so are the sledge hammer thieves. Stoats and weasels can get in to all manner of places and will pluck young stock from the rafters.

I don't have any stock at the moment, Neighbour has the badger problem. I have a stoat stealing my mice traps (i.e. carry off the mice & trap), - keep finding them in some strange places.

Comment

MyWifesBrassicas, do you have the option of keeping a cockerel? Like Scarlet says, spring chicks should grow to become winter layers.

Not only foxes you need to be prepared for. Badgers are stronger so are the sledge hammer thieves. Stoats and weasels can get in to all manner of places and will pluck young stock from the rafters.

I don't have any stock at the moment, Neighbour has the badger problem. I have a stoat stealing my mice traps (i.e. carry off the mice & trap), - keep finding them in some strange places.
                  Hi, thanks for the info.
                  Would love a cockerel, but its the allotment agreement, I'm contractually obliged not to have one and I'm sure the overlooking neighbours would object.
                  To my knowledge, I only have issues with foxes.
                  thats really funny regarding the mouse trap thief, id set up some sort of video or go pro of that, would be wonderful
                  sigpic

Comment

Not sure if anyone is interested but I have heard of POL chickens near chesterfield needing rehoming by 30th March. £5 each
                    Further details can be found on Facebook under the name Phoenix Hen Rescue UK
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X