Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My father spent 50 years selectivly breeding rhode island reds.He taught me a lot, when in a poultry shed of layers he asked me to pick out the best. I chose the better looking ones with full feathers. He said the reason they look so good is because they have done bugger all for the last 12 months. The best layers lose condition because they have laid so many eggs. If we intended to carry them on for another season they were forced into molt and came back looking like point of lay pullets.So don't dismiss the ragged looking ones, they may be the best hens.
    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Stan - I know if you give the BHWT a ring they are really helpful and maybe, if you tell them your requirements they might suggest something that suits you.
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
        We have a lot of land for them to free range in, but once integrated, only a 2.4m x 4.8m enclosed run when we're not at home. 10 in that space seems a bit much!
        Stick to your guns, that's way to small for 10. As you have them free ranging most of the day (when you are at home!) they will have plenty of places to hide,take refuge.

Comment

Originally posted by Verinda View Post
          I'm not very experienced with hens but mine have not looked remotely like that again, even when molting. Their feathers (what was left of them) were so dirty.

Personally I do think it was the conditions when were kept in that caused them to look so bad.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58560[/ATTACH]

That's heartbreaking

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
            Looking at the BHWT dates there is one near me on a day that i can do. I've looked on their website however and they recommend that as i have 4 chooks currently, that i should have at least 6 ex-bats as they recommend introducing a greater number than the current flock?!?! That seems a bit extreme and is really more than i had wanted to take on. What are your views on that? I had preferably only wanted 2 or 3 more.

We have a lot of land for them to free range in, but once integrated, only a 2.4m x 4.8m enclosed run when we're not at home. 10 in that space seems a bit much!
            Adding 2/3 to your existing girls shouldn't be a problem. It may just take a bit longer. I always keep them in there own house & enclosure for about two weeks but where the to groups can see each other. Then I start letting them out together but only while I'm there for a for a few day. Then they slowly start spending there days together. I let them choose where they sleep. They tend to stay in there own house for a few extra weeks.
            And to be honest the BHWT should be happy for you to take as many or as few birds as you can manage ( as long as it's more than one ).

Comment

Thanks all. Will give them a call!

Comment

New dates added
                I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Yey!!! Hens reserved! Picking them up on Sunday. Very excited.

Comment

Thats brilliant news Stan - we ar still waiting for a date. Any chance of piccies when you get them?

Comment

Yep! Will take some pics. No doubt before, during and after their rehoming!!!

Comment

How many are you having, Stan? Well done you

Comment

Getting 4. Our girls are far less regular in their laying and 4 eggs a day was a good number so thinking that if the ex bats are a bit "laid out", between them we should be back up to about 4 a day on average.

Comment

Currently chasing the spiders out of the old coop before I Creocote it ready for the new arrivals!

Comment

Stan - just for you.

Attached Files

Comment

Well done from me and my lovely ex batts

Attached Files
                                The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X