Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orpingtons as a good first bird with a young family?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan79
    replied
    Ok people - going to go and pick some up this evening around 1730ish! Very excited!

Yet another question - what's the difference between a draught and good ventilation in a chicken coop? I've read that there should be a through flow of air to remove ammonia but that chickens don't like draughts?

The coop i have doesn't have any specific holes for ventilation, just a bunch of gaps in the joins due to the shoddy way it was made! Should i seal the gaps and add a ventilation 'window' or two with adjustable vents?

Leave a comment:

• frias
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan80 View Post
    Thank you all for your input!

My Mrs likes the look of:
    Black Star
    Colombian Blacktail
    Blue Ranger AKA Bluebelle
    I have one each of those breeds. Columbian Blacktail is the friendliest. Followed by our Magpie (or black sussex) They all lay well. Our Bluebell is very bossy!

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    I made little curtains for my first chook's nest boxes - I don't do that any more - they just have to overcome their shyness

Leave a comment:

• bearded bloke
    replied
    Looks like you've got more than I had to start with Stan

Get hold of a couple of metal bins to keep the pellets & grain in,rodents will be looking for free grub once they work out there is a supply also a good idea to put the feeder away overnight (same reason)

Given the current weather maybe ......

Leave a comment:

• Stan79
    replied
    Right, we have:
    a coop (creocoted and treated - still need to reinforce nesting boxes),
    some bedding,
    20kg layers pellets,
    20kg mixed corn,
    grit,
    something for them to peck at with corn and grit in,
    a galvanised feeder,
    an ice cream tub for water (and a few bids on proper galvanised drinkers on ebay),
    2kg of Diaguard Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth,
    5L Poultry Shield coop cleaner,
    etc.

What else do i need to have in place before bringing some hens home tomorrow or Sunday?

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Leave a comment:

• alifrew
    replied
    I have used the "bum" part of a large pair or v dark blue jeans to cover the front of my nest boxes. I cut strips at the bottom so the girls could get in and out easily and it can be taken down and washed when needed. I did it as an emergency measure and I'm still using it a year later!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Leave a comment:

• bearded bloke
    replied
    Hi Stan,the "modesty blind" is a piece of bricklayers damp proof course,cut into 1/2" wide strips.

Yep,shredded paper works a treat for me,used as bedding & on the coop floor,when soiled with chook poo rots down well (& quite quickly) in the dalek

Leave a comment:

• Stan79
    replied
    Originally posted by Floyd View Post
    You'll want to give it a good brushing of Creocote inside and out to deter red mite, then leave it for a few days to dry before putting your new chickens in it. They'll also need a far larger run than that one, we bought a similar set up and I ended up building a 20'x8' covered run around it to give them plenty of space. My 3 Warrens,1 Orpington, 1 light Sussex and 1 Polish happily cram into the coop together but during the summer they just roost in the run.
    I gave it a coat of Creocote this afternoon. Horrible stuff!

I will be building a large run which the coop and smaller run will go inside. Idea being that they can be out in the small run all day and in the large run when we're home.

Leave a comment:

• Stan79
    replied
    BB - what have you used to make the "modesty blind" in front of the nesting boxes?

Do I also see you're using shredded paper as bedding? That's what I was thinking of using as I can get it from work. How does it compare to wood shavings, straw, etc?

Leave a comment:

• alifrew
    replied
    I wondered if that was where you meant. I bought my girls there, hoping to go in a few months and get some more. They do have lovely coops.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisMath88
    replied
    Pilling lane it's on I think, if you google happy chicks

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Leave a comment:

• alifrew
    replied
    Could I ask where in fleetwood? I live fairly close and would love a look at coops. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• ChrisMath88
    replied
    I started with that sort of coop, great for ease of cleaning but not much ventilation and things do get a bit cramped. I started with 3 hybrids (light Sussex, speckeldy and bluebelle) and soon realised it was cramped in there once they grew up. Once you've got 3-4 chicks you'll soon want more, so it's a good little starter for the first year but, orpingtons if that's what you want will quickly out grow it.I picked up a good sized coop + walk in run from a place in fleetwood they deliver all over, not cheap but really well made and look great in the garden. Enabled me to add a couple to my flock as well (two auracana's)

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Leave a comment:

• bearded bloke
    replied
    Modified perch

Fitted in coop

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Floyd
    replied
    You'll want to give it a good brushing of Creocote inside and out to deter red mite, then leave it for a few days to dry before putting your new chickens in it. They'll also need a far larger run than that one, we bought a similar set up and I ended up building a 20'x8' covered run around it to give them plenty of space. My 3 Warrens,1 Orpington, 1 light Sussex and 1 Polish happily cram into the coop together but during the summer they just roost in the run.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X