Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I clean my 2nd hand coop with?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I clean my 2nd hand coop with?

I have recently purchased a second hand chicken coop last week. I had been keeping an eye out for a bargain. It is in great condition but I wanted to know what I can sterilise it with? I have been given the chance to rehome some ex bats on Saturday and I wanted to make sure i get off on the right footing!

Is there any chicken friendly products?

Any advice welcome!!

If it's wood Creocote it ASAP and then leave it open to dry and get rid of fumes. This will kill any existing red mite and should stop any future infestations for this year. If you have a steam cleaner you could use this first or scrub out with Vircons disinfectant. Creocote is available at B&Q or Wilkos among other places but you need to do it now to be ready for Saturday. Good luck with your batties.

Comment

I have just rescued 4 ex chicken farm birds, have never met such naughty mischievous girls in all my time having them, so far since Monday afternoon they have flown over our tall garden fence to see our neighbours, and escaped from there run that we keep them in when we not home, and eaten my lettuces from my new raised veg trug!
      They are very comical though, you will love them

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Comment

NAPALM!

Seriously though creocote does seem to be the answer. It would probably be a good idea to maybe modify your coop prior to getting your hens to ensure you can easily treat the wood every year.

I hope you haven't bought the same style coop as I did....tongue and groove structure is a nightmare!

Comment

LOL Gina's plot! My ex batt's are very naughty too! Our two ordinary hens have much better manners, and nowhere near as much curiosity! Those ex batt's are always into everything. Frank is forever off looking to see what they are up to now

Can't give any advice on treating the coop I'm afraid. Mine is mostly corrugated iron.
            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X