This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asphyxiating Rats?!

We have had rats move into/around our run for several months. We've found live traps to be the best bet as we don't want to risk hurting the chickens, or killing squirrels or other animals - we're rural so all kinds of wildlife around.

The rats need to be killed (sorry) but I am keen to do it in the most humane way possible. Drowning is easy but apparently not the most pleasant for the rats. Many people advocate a big heavy pair of boots as being actually extremely quick but I don't fancy that!
    So far I've been using an airgun but I've heard for humans, asphyxiation is quite a peaceful way to go. I was wondering about trying to set up something, so I can put the entire trap into an airtight container and just let them fall asleep. But I have absolutely no idea how much air rats breath.
    Is this a method that is at all commonly used

By the way a quick google found some papers on using CO2 for lab-rats so it's clearly been thought of before, at least!

Comment

If you're going to try and asphyxiate them then I would have thought it would be better, and certainly quicker, to pump some sort of inert gas into the container in order to push out the oxygen, rather than just waiting for the rat to use up all the oxygen itself.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
        If you're going to try and asphyxiate them then I would have thought it would be better, and certainly quicker, to pump some sort of inert gas into the container in order to push out the oxygen, rather than just waiting for the rat to use up all the oxygen itself.
        That seems to be the idea behind the things I found online. It might render the idea unworkable unless you've got a spare fire extinguisher!

Comment

* mod note...

Please be aware that any method chosen to dispatch of rhodents has to be done as humanly as possible otherwise you will be breaking the law.

Here are a couple of links you might find interesting....

https://science.rspca.org.uk/documen...=1552922693251

https://www.rspca.org.uk/-/rspca-urg...world-rat-day-

https://www.rspca.org.uk/documents/1...&download=true

When in doubt PLEASE call in the professionals.

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

First off. I don't agree with killing wild rats any more than I would agree with killing wild elephants or children.

Having kept and bred rats, as a family, I have been asked to use both ether and argon to put down rats who were terminally ill when the vets were closed. Asphyxiation, gassing etc. are not kind ways to kill them, They will panic and suffer badly in the process.

If you must kill them, do it quickly and without warning. Either hold them and stroke them (if they will accept this) then bash their heads hard against the edge of a bench or hit them sharply over the head with the back of a spade.

If that makes you feel bad, well that's a small price to pay compared with what the rat is paying.
            Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

I guess this thread has run it's course.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X