Miniature Silkies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miniature Silkies

Hello All, I was looking at getting some miniature/bantam silkies - these are a mini version of the standard silkie for anyone who is in the dark as much as I was when i first heard of them!

Does anyone know about how big they are?

And are they reasonable layers (for silkies) or are they simply for ornamental or show purposes?

Silkie
    Chicken
    The Silkie is a breed of chicken named for its atypically fluffy plumage, which is said to feel like silk and satin. The breed has several other unusual qualities, such as black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot, whereas most chickens only have four. They are often exhibited in poultry shows, and appear in various colors. In addition to their distinctive physical characteristics, Silkies are well known for their calm, friendly temperament. It is among the most docile of poultry. Hens are also exceptionally broody, and care for young well. Though they are fair layers themselves, laying only about three eggs a week, they are commonly used to hatch eggs from other breeds and bird species due to their broody nature. Silkie chickens are very easy to keep as pets. They are suitable for children, but like any pet, should be handled with care.

from Wiki.

Comment

I used to keep Pekin bantams ( a friend had bantam silkies) they don't lay that many eggs compared to other breeds. Both the Pekin and silkie maybe lay about 80 eggs a year? So productive manly in the summer and they often go broody. I would choose bantams for families as they are easy to pick up and a good size for kids.
      The bantam eggs are half the weight of your average egg...each bird makes roughly the same amount of mess, maybe eat a little less etc.
      If you are just keeping them for eggs I would choose a decent egg layer and not a small breed.

Comment

I spent 2 days trying to catch a Silkie that had been dumped in the local woods. I did eventually and brought it home. A week later it started to crow!!
        I read somewhere that they are more difficult to sex than other chickens so, if you're thinking of going down the Silkie line, make sure you buy the right ones for your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
          Silkie
          Chicken
          The Silkie is a breed of chicken named for its atypically fluffy plumage, which is said to feel like silk and satin. The breed has several other unusual qualities, such as black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot, whereas most chickens only have four. They are often exhibited in poultry shows, and appear in various colors. In addition to their distinctive physical characteristics, Silkies are well known for their calm, friendly temperament. It is among the most docile of poultry. Hens are also exceptionally broody, and care for young well. Though they are fair layers themselves, laying only about three eggs a week, they are commonly used to hatch eggs from other breeds and bird species due to their broody nature. Silkie chickens are very easy to keep as pets. They are suitable for children, but like any pet, should be handled with care.

from Wiki.
          Thanks, I kinda get that...but as I mentioned this is more specific to the Bantam/Miniature Silkie which is like a Bantam version of the standard Silkie...if that makes sense

Comment

I would say they are mainly for show and would be very poor egg layers. I had a trio of ordinary silkies years ago and used them for hatching other eggs and something different to have arround. When they have laid what they think is enough to sit on they very easily go broody and stop laying. Their eggs were on the small size so bantams would be even smaller.
            I made the mistake of trying to get one to sit on 3 goose eggs once but after about 25 days, it flew off squawking and never went broody again.

Comment

Originally posted by nrmartin8798 View Post
              Thanks, I kinda get that...but as I mentioned this is more specific to the Bantam/Miniature Silkie which is like a Bantam version of the standard Silkie...if that makes sense
              Bantams of any variety pretty much carry the same traits as the larger version. Except size. Eggs are half the size. Silkies are generally regarded as good for sitting...not so for Mark!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X