Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any white egg layers? (Chickens)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any white egg layers? (Chickens)

If yes what breed and how do you rate them? (friendliness, no. of eggs etc.)
    I have found leghorns but it doesn't seem they are rated as very friendly. I remember years ago most of the commercially sold eggs tended to be white and it seems a little odd there doesn't seem that many white layers now

Anyhoo, any help would be great as always

Didn't Delia Smith use white eggs so everyone wanted them?
    No help but you could ask Delia!!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Didn't Delia Smith use white eggs so everyone wanted them?
      No help but you could ask Delia!!
      I appreciate she is only a half hours drive away but if I won't let one of her books in my kitchen I am certainly not asking her about white eggs. I also don't quite know what it is about the women that makes feel like that. But TY for thinking outside the box

Comment

We once had a leghorn. The chalkiest white eggs you could hope to see. Beautiful. Very flighty bird. Would come for food, but didn't really trust me. But got on all right with the other hens (small flock of three). Brilliant layer, even at the worst times of year. Got an egg just about every single day of the year. I'd have another except they're not easy to come by round here.
        Last edited by Snoop Puss; 10-05-2019, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Not much help but we have a bantam/big hen hybrid we got as a chick who lays lovely white eggs... and she’s the friendliest of our current flock. Sorry I don’t know her pedigree!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
            I appreciate she is only a half hours drive away but if I won't let one of her books in my kitchen I am certainly not asking her about white eggs. I also don't quite know what it is about the women that makes feel like that. But TY for thinking outside the box
            I think it was this book that did it! Suddenly, nobody wanted brown eggs and wanted pale and delinteresting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	delia.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	2383500

I don't TV chefs, full stop. The men have big mouths, the women are too goody-goody.
            Mind you, I don't like TV gardeners either.

Comment

I had a "white star" hybrid. Lovely big white eggs, the bird was small and incredibly flighty though.

Comment

I had white leghorns. Big eggs for the size of bird. Not the most friendly birds, a bit flighty and always slept in the tree rather than the house.

I wouldn't have a delia book in the house either. Patronising ***** ! Don't get me started on the *l*t nigella .

Comment

Originally posted by Lardman View Post
                  I had a "white star" hybrid. Lovely big white eggs, the bird was small and incredibly flighty though.
                  I also had two of these and just the same, very flighty, not easy to handle.
                  I think they're a leghorn cross with lovely big white eggs though.
                  Last edited by MyWifesBrassicas; 11-05-2019, 04:49 PM. Reason: adding leghorn cross
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X