Guinea Fowl - OK not chickens!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinea Fowl - OK not chickens!

My neighbour has a guinea fowl, a few months old. It wanders round the back and forages. So far so good. When I start planting my brassicas, corn etc etc, does anyone know if they are partial to young veg? I am going to net stuff, but just thought I would ask. Many thanks.

Never had Guinea fowl but there's a fairly high chance it will take a shine to your veg plants.
    I hope it's not on its own they are sociable creatures like chickens and shouldn't be alone.
    Also they are very noisy. As its only a youngster it may not have started that yet.

Comment

Used to be called gleanies round here - they'll eat pretty much anything a person would ( and some other things too) and they fly very well.

Comment

Tasty though...…………….

Comment

They are called gleanies here too....my neighbouring farmer had 6 that he let free roam. They would eat anything in my garden but lasted about 6months before being eaten themselves

They should be penned for safety. They won't last long loose. Come May Mummy Fox will be on the prowl looking for food for her little ones
          Last edited by Scarlet; 20-03-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

can happen - but they also fly, and used to roost in an 80' high pear tree down the village.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
              can happen - but they also fly, and used to roost in an 80' high pear tree down the village.
              Chickens and turkeys fly too...they love to roost high up in tress if given a chance...they are still prime targets for fox attacks.
              Last edited by Scarlet; 20-03-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

"Given the chance guinea fowl will live happily in the trees, but you are likely to keep them longer if they can be persuaded to live in a secure house. Not only are tree-dwelling birds at the mercy of any flying or climbing night-time predators, but they will also descend at first light in time to meet returning nocturnal hunters on the ground."

Taken from:

https://poultrykeeper.com/general-gu...g-guinea-fowl/

Comment

One bird?
                  Poor thing, they are flock birds.
                  Noisy and will eat anything ...I doubt it will survive long if there are predators around, and nor will your veggies if it finds them
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X